Media The Big Guns - it's a size thing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bishamon

Reaction score
Have been taking a lot of pictures of knives recently for sale, so I thought I would take some of the 3 big knives I have as a group. You've seen them before individually. These are some of my favorite knives, although not the most used, lol. Not for sale, but if you have to ask the price you can't afford it :cool2:

Top one is the 430mm mioroshi deba (maguro mioroshi they called in Osaka where I bought it), next one down is the Watanabe kujira hocho (whale knife), then the 370mm Ichimonji gyuto. At the bottom is a puny 240mm gyuto.
IMG_3856.jpg

IMG_3863.jpg

With a big apple.
IMG_3870-1.jpg

Older ones
IMG_3052-1.jpg

With 210 mioroshi deba
IMG_3032-1.jpg

Those are some amazing knives. The picture on KF of you holding the whale knife is crazy, the handle is very big

Have you ever tried to sharpen any of these knives? Does it take 2 people :sofa:

The whale knife was touched up a little, and that was stressful. Doing a full resharpen would take a long time and kill your arms.

Geez....how big is your cutting board Nathan ???

Holy.... what do you cut with those things? I mean... I had a 300 knife once and that seemed huge. I want one now... thanks as if my knife problem isn't bad enough.

[video=youtube;S5PlBZ8hwg4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5PlBZ8hwg4[/video]

This starts off with my 300 H AS wa gyuto. Sure not as big as the others here but still a big knife, even if it dosn't look like it.

^That cleaver set is cool. I got a lamb splitter last year and I use it mostly for ribs and coconuts, lol. And I'm sure I'll never get a tuna that big since I'm not in the industry. Have to use it overkill on tiny 15-40lb tuna caught off CA, or sharks or swordfish.

300 gyuto is a good size, and I will probably get another one in the future. I remember when you got that knife, which was back when my longest gyuto was a 240. Decided to step up and try longer since you said it was still useful.

Latest posts

Back