Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally a formal introduction

Finally a formal introduction

Hi everyone ,
    I have been on forums about 5 years now and I have to say I fell into the very deep hole with knives .Lot deeper than most of you can imagine
    My name is Mert Tansu and I am the chef of a big winery in Hunter Valley , NSW , Australia . I got interested in better knives to perform better at my job and further i researched further I got sucked in . I finally took a dive almost 3 years ago and visited a local knifemaker Keith Fludder and made my first knife
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ith-shop-visit

And I caught the knife bug ... I have started buying simple tools and spending my days off in my shed trying to make knives

almost year later I have visited Keith again to learn how to forge knives and I have start getting few request for custom knives and my knifemaking journey officially began , bought more tools ... more materilas , more trial and errors .. Fast forward after 40 or so knives later Last year I have decided to visit Bill Burke in Boise , Idaho to learn more about how to make kitchen knives and san mai .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434846157_040135.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	32978

It was a great experience and learned a lot from him and still bug him every now and then with quesions

from that point on things kept rolling and I pushed the limits of "hobbyist knifemaker" along with running a kitchen

In november 2015 We have moved into our new house which has a seperate workshop and knifemaking became a part time job rather than being a hobby.
    I have purchased second grinder and started focusing more on my heat treatment , fit and finish and grinds .
    Well , a powerhammer was needed too right ?
    Recently i have attended my first knife show , managed to catch up with few people I met over the forums and met lots of people who follow me on social media . Didn't
    sell many knives was but i went home happy at least
    Name:  14064032_1836593806563751_8447280952429162945_n.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  21.7 KB

I will be sharing lots of knife pics , have few years worth of stuff to catch up and lots food pictures and food videos .

Happy to finally join as a pro craftsman , will post some knife stuff soon , let me know if you have any questions

Mert

Mert, I've handled several of your knives. What surprised me most was the way the cut, very high performers. I regret having to jump off your custom list. Someday I intend to pick up a nice simple middle weight gyuto from you. Would be awesome if you came to the ECG someday.

Also, truth be told, When i placed the custom order, Mert asked me for a $100 deposit to get in line. We decided on profile, steel and handle pretty quickly as I fell in love with a Guyto he made for Cheeks/Sam's (52100 SS San Mai). After a few months, I realized I bit off a little more than I could chew, knife wise and $$ wise. So I asked to be taken off the list. Mert understood, without question and refunded my $100 that same day. Ethical, talented and makes phenomenal kitchen knives.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Mert, I've handled several of your knives. What surprised me most was the way the cut, very high performers. I regret having to jump off your custom list. Someday I intend to pick up a nice simple middle weight gyuto from you. Would be awesome if you came to the ECG someday.
    Dennis , it's all good about the custom order , i am glad you liked the ones you used so far, I want them to cut , and cut first before looking pretty. I am planning a trip in 2017 September , I have been planning on visiting Randy again , who had hosted me last year with the mini hammer in , it was a blast .

some of the best cutting knives I've ever used. Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by turbochef422 View Post
    Yep. It's kind of bittersweet that you are a vendor here. I really wanted to keep your knives a secret and hord them for myself. Congratulations on becoming a vendor!

Great to see you here, mate!
    I see, I like, I cut!

Quote Originally Posted by turbochef422 View Post
    Thanks Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeks1989 View Post
    Yep. It's kind of bittersweet that you are a vendor here. I really wanted to keep your knives a secret and hord them for myself. Congratulations on becoming a vendor!
    Thanks for the support Sam

Quote Originally Posted by V1P View Post
    Great to see you here, mate!
    Thanks Ferry

Welcome Mert, it's great to have you here as an official vendor, no stopping you now!