Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole rib eye recipes wanted

Whole rib eye recipes wanted

So i am doing some testing for Christmas lunch ( I can't believe i am saying this already).

I have been tasked with the roast beef this year so I want to sous vide a whole rib eye (boneless) and am going to do a trial run next weekend so i was hoping to get some recommended times and temps (have done the obligatory google amd have info there but want to corroborate with other people) and also and ideas on seasoning and flavouring to cook with.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Alex

I did one a few months ago. Pre-sear it quickly when it is still cold from the fridge. Then vacuum pack it with garlic cloves, thyme, salt, pepper, and some pats of butter. Then I gave it 57c for around four hours, but time may vary depending on how large your roast is. Then afterwards, I re-salted, and seared it again, basting with butter and garlic and thyme.

This was how I did it, and it is what I would recommend.
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    I did one a few months ago. Pre-sear it quickly when it is still cold from the fridge. Then vacuum pack it with garlic cloves, thyme, salt, pepper, and some pats of butter. Then I gave it 57c for around four hours, but time may vary depending on how large your roast is. Then afterwards, I re-salted, and seared it again, basting with butter and garlic and thyme.

This was how I did it, and it is what I would recommend.
    this is good, but I would take the pan the rib was seared in and brown the butter with all the garlic, thyme, rosemary, until foamy and delicious. then cool it down and bag it all together. Do you have a cvap? problem with large pieces of meat in sous vide is bulls-eye effect. Make sure the rib is at room temp when its seared and then bagged, to go from 80-90 up to 125-135 in 57-60c water should'nt take more than 1.5-2 hours imo, and the less its in the bag and water the less bulls eye you will get.

No cvap here.

Interesting on the timings. Given what i have read was in the 8 to 10 hour range.

This is the exact info I was after.

And for reference I was figuring it would be in the 1.5kg to 2kg (3 to 4 pound range).

Administrator
    My experience w SV is that "doneness" is a function of bath temp, texture is a function of time in bath. i.e. I've tried to shortcut whole beef tenderloin with an hour in the bath instead of normal 3 hrs. Temp was fine throughout but meat had a raw texture.

For a Ribeye loin I would have it in a 131F bath for around 6 hrs. 10 is not unreasonable. You can use 1"/he as a rough estimate for time.

When searing before use large pan. Add all the trimmings then deglaze to start a sauce.
    Older and wider..

I would like to clarify that the reason I didn't sous vide for a longer time was because I was slicing it into steaks and searing again afterwards. If you are not going to do that, then yes, sous vide it for longer.
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

Alex, Curious why you'd want to mess with SV such a large piece of meat?

Id just season well, rest, then sear cold, then put in a cold oven set to low low (below 200 degrees) until the internal temp is 95 or so, reseason and then sear off again in a roasting pan on the stove until internal temp is 120-125. Hold in a very very low oven. Cooking it like this will still activate the enzymes and minimize banding. If the whole sirloin primal weighs 16 LBS, meat could still take four hours to cook. I think this is the best way to handle large cuts. For individual steaks, SV is the way to go. my two cents.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Personally in this case, I would separate the spinalis dorsi muscle from the heart, roll it up with some meat glue, vac it and rest for 6 hours, then take it out and cut it into portions, cut the heart into portions, vac those up with herbs, garlic, shallot and butter and SV up to 135 F for like 2 plus hours. Take em out season and sear then serv.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Alex, Curious why you'd want to mess with SV such a large piece of meat?

Id just season well, rest, then sear cold, then put in a cold oven set to low low (below 200 degrees) until the internal temp is 95 or so, reseason and then sear off again in a roasting pan on the stove until internal temp is 120-125. Hold in a very very low oven. Cooking it like this will still activate the enzymes and minimize banding. If the whole sirloin primal weighs 16 LBS, meat could still take four hours to cook. I think this is the best way to handle large cuts. For individual steaks, SV is the way to go. my two cents.
    Wait is tho OP talking like a cold cut roast beef or "Prime rib" with jus?

I took the OP to mean a whole boneless prime rib, but I think I said sirloin.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.