Sous Vide Whole rib eye recipes wanted

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malexthekid

Reaction score
So i am doing some testing for Christmas lunch ( I can't believe i am saying this already).

I have been tasked with the roast beef this year so I want to sous vide a whole rib eye (boneless) and am going to do a trial run next weekend so i was hoping to get some recommended times and temps (have done the obligatory google amd have info there but want to corroborate with other people) and also and ideas on seasoning and flavouring to cook with.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Alex

I did one a few months ago. Pre-sear it quickly when it is still cold from the fridge. Then vacuum pack it with garlic cloves, thyme, salt, pepper, and some pats of butter. Then I gave it 57c for around four hours, but time may vary depending on how large your roast is. Then afterwards, I re-salted, and seared it again, basting with butter and garlic and thyme.

This was how I did it, and it is what I would recommend.

I did one a few months ago. Pre-sear it quickly when it is still cold from the fridge. Then vacuum pack it with garlic cloves, thyme, salt, pepper, and some pats of butter. Then I gave it 57c for around four hours, but time may vary depending on how large your roast is. Then afterwards, I re-salted, and seared it again, basting with butter and garlic and thyme.

This was how I did it, and it is what I would recommend.

this is good, but I would take the pan the rib was seared in and brown the butter with all the garlic, thyme, rosemary, until foamy and delicious. then cool it down and bag it all together. Do you have a cvap? problem with large pieces of meat in sous vide is bulls-eye effect. Make sure the rib is at room temp when its seared and then bagged, to go from 80-90 up to 125-135 in 57-60c water should'nt take more than 1.5-2 hours imo, and the less its in the bag and water the less bulls eye you will get.

No cvap here.

Interesting on the timings. Given what i have read was in the 8 to 10 hour range.

This is the exact info I was after.

And for reference I was figuring it would be in the 1.5kg to 2kg (3 to 4 pound range).

My experience w SV is that "doneness" is a function of bath temp, texture is a function of time in bath. i.e. I've tried to shortcut whole beef tenderloin with an hour in the bath instead of normal 3 hrs. Temp was fine throughout but meat had a raw texture.

For a Ribeye loin I would have it in a 131F bath for around 6 hrs. 10 is not unreasonable. You can use 1"/he as a rough estimate for time.

When searing before use large pan. Add all the trimmings then deglaze to start a sauce.

I would like to clarify that the reason I didn't sous vide for a longer time was because I was slicing it into steaks and searing again afterwards. If you are not going to do that, then yes, sous vide it for longer.

Alex, Curious why you'd want to mess with SV such a large piece of meat?

Id just season well, rest, then sear cold, then put in a cold oven set to low low (below 200 degrees) until the internal temp is 95 or so, reseason and then sear off again in a roasting pan on the stove until internal temp is 120-125. Hold in a very very low oven. Cooking it like this will still activate the enzymes and minimize banding. If the whole sirloin primal weighs 16 LBS, meat could still take four hours to cook. I think this is the best way to handle large cuts. For individual steaks, SV is the way to go. my two cents.

Personally in this case, I would separate the spinalis dorsi muscle from the heart, roll it up with some meat glue, vac it and rest for 6 hours, then take it out and cut it into portions, cut the heart into portions, vac those up with herbs, garlic, shallot and butter and SV up to 135 F for like 2 plus hours. Take em out season and sear then serv.

Alex, Curious why you'd want to mess with SV such a large piece of meat?

Id just season well, rest, then sear cold, then put in a cold oven set to low low (below 200 degrees) until the internal temp is 95 or so, reseason and then sear off again in a roasting pan on the stove until internal temp is 120-125. Hold in a very very low oven. Cooking it like this will still activate the enzymes and minimize banding. If the whole sirloin primal weighs 16 LBS, meat could still take four hours to cook. I think this is the best way to handle large cuts. For individual steaks, SV is the way to go. my two cents.

Wait is tho OP talking like a cold cut roast beef or "Prime rib" with jus?

I took the OP to mean a whole boneless prime rib, but I think I said sirloin.

Yeah this. Sorry terminology is a little different. We typically call it scotch fillet down here, and don't usually differentiate between roast and portions.

As for why sous vide, essentially cause i can. And also my wife doesn't like a lot of beef so i will be roasting a chook or two so its convenient to cook them in separate methods.

Personally in this case, I would separate the spinalis dorsi muscle from the heart, roll it up with some meat glue, vac it and rest for 6 hours, then take it out and cut it into portions, cut the heart into portions, vac those up with herbs, garlic, shallot and butter and SV up to 135 F for like 2 plus hours. Take em out season and sear then serv.

Feel free to do a video showing how to split and portion it like this. :cool:

Yeah this. Sorry terminology is a little different. ....so i will be roasting a chook or two so its convenient to cook them in separate methods.

Chickens? Can't you guys speak english? When I was in Navy we called it "separated by a common language"

Chickens? Can't you guys speak english? When I was in Navy we called it "separated by a common language"

Who ever said we speak english? I feel you are just purely mistaken.

We speak Stralian down here. :D

Found it. I think this was my first ever spinalis. My technique could be tighter and I remember being distracted by everyone walking by asking me what I was doing.

We're going way back to my pre transglutaminase days so I just tied it up and cut the portions. I also have some raw footage laying around with another spinalis that I remember doing faster/better. Let me see if I can find it.

[video=youtube;csoE0Wl_3RM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csoE0Wl_3RM[/video]

Enjoyed that Rick. Same watch and 1 glove back then. Music was better (for this old fart). And after watching yours, Utube popped up an old Salty video for the same cut.

Thanks Rick. How have i not seen that i would have sworn i had watched almost all.of your videos

Enjoyed that Rick. Same watch and 1 glove back then. Music was better (for this old fart). And after watching yours, Utube popped up an old Salty video for the same cut.

Thanks. Yeah Salty was the pioneer.

Thanks Rick. How have i not seen that i would have sworn i had watched almost all.of your videos

It's a really old one. Maybe 5 years ago.

Here is the other footage I have. This time I clean it more efficiently and roll the meat into mini cap steaks. You may or may not like the music this time Dave. It is of my own production. Original work produced written and recorded by myself.

[video=youtube;QdixCWexuAA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdixCWexuAA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Great videos Rick.

Can I ask the change in how you rolled and portion the spinalis dorsi was that purely done because of a change of purpose?

Also think i will just tie them up like you, meat glue is probably hard to come by here. Also some prelim reading says people with gluten issues may have problems with it and i have a few friends which have quite high intolerances to gluten.

I'm thinking for this dinner party i might give this a go amd may debate on sous viding the prime rib or roasting ala Mucho for the christmas lunch. Still plenty of time to experiment with that.

Are you asking why did I make them much smaller in the second vid? If so it's because we were doing a 12 course tasting menu which required much smaller portions.

Just a quick note for anyone sous-viding rolled-up meat, or meat assembled with transglutaminase. You might have problems with long cooks, like if you're trying to tenderize tougher cuts. There shouldn't be any problem with rib cuts like like the spinalis you guys are talking about, that you'll cook for just a few hours.

With long cooks, especially with meat rolled into larger forms, meat at the center can spend a long time at temperatures where spoilage organisms thrive. I'm not talking about pathogens, but the large, mostly uncharted families of bacteria and fungi and who-knows-what that can create nasty flavors and odors. Normally, the interior of meat is sterile, more or less, unless the animal was diseased, or unless you've perforated the meat and brought surface organisms to the center. But when you roll or glue pieces together, the surface becomes the interior, and all bets are off.

I've heard from more than one person experimenting with these techniques who watched the interior of the bag turn green over 36 hours or so. They were then knocked off their feet by baby diaper stench when they opened the bag. Most spoilage organisms can't actually hurt you. But no one usually volunteers to find out.

Just a quick note for anyone sous-viding rolled-up meat, or meat assembled with transglutaminase. You might have problems with long cooks, like if you're trying to tenderize tougher cuts. There shouldn't be any problem with rib cuts like like the spinalis you guys are talking about, that you'll cook for just a few hours.

With long cooks, especially with meat rolled into larger forms, meat at the center can spend a long time at temperatures where spoilage organisms thrive. I'm not talking about pathogens, but the large, mostly uncharted families of bacteria and fungi and who-knows-what that can create nasty flavors and odors. Normally, the interior of meat is sterile, more or less, unless the animal was diseased, or unless you've perforated the meat and brought surface organisms to the center. But when you roll or glue pieces together, the surface becomes the interior, and all bets are off.

I've heard from more than one person experimenting with these techniques who watched the interior of the bag turn green over 36 hours or so. They were then knocked off their feet by baby diaper stench when they opened the bag. Most spoilage organisms can't actually hurt you. But no one usually volunteers to find out.

Good tip. Thanks.

So my 2 inch thick piece of (flat) brisket should be OK?

Good tip. Thanks.

So my 2 inch thick piece of (flat) brisket should be OK?

Easily fine... take what was said with a grain of salt and do lots of reading on it....

The above comment is the first I have heard anything of what was said... Also it doesn't logically complete... because in a 36+ hr cook the meat has reached max temp a long time before that and the length in time is actually to break down the proteins (aka tenderize) the meats.

Not saying he is wrong but saying it doesn't compute for me and to do more research and reading to make your own opinion.

Easily fine... take what was said with a grain of salt and do lots of reading on it....

The above comment is the first I have heard anything of what was said... Also it doesn't logically complete... because in a 36+ hr cook the meat has reached max temp a long time before that and the length in time is actually to break down the proteins (aka tenderize) the meats.

Not saying he is wrong but saying it doesn't compute for me and to do more research and reading to make your own opinion.

Yes, the flat brisket is totally fine. None of what I said applies to any solid piece of meat. It applies to pieces of meat that have been rolled, stuffed, perforated, or subjected to anything that could get surface contaminants deep in the interior of a thick bundle of meat.

When the contaminants include spoilage bacteria (which are poorly understood in terms their temperature / time growth and mortality curves) unappealing things can happen. I've spoken to at least two people who have experienced this first-hand, and I don't know all that many people. If you check out the bacteriology chapter in Vol 1. of the Modernist Cuisine series, you'll see a brief rundown of spoilage organisms. In the later volume on sous-vide techniques they warn about long cooks of rolled meat.

The same circumstances could hypothetically be dangerous with regards to anaerobic spores (c. perfringes and c. botulinum). The s.v. bag is a low-acid, oxygen-free environment, and the center of the meat might spend a long time in the temperature range where spores can blossom into active bugs. If they are given a long enough chance to reproduce, they will deposit toxins that are not destroyed by cooking temperatures. I'm not trying to be dramatic — I have NEVER heard of this happening during a long sous-vide cook, and have been unable to find trustworthy information on how long it takes for spores to activate. Spores may be a non-issue.

I bring this up only as an example of things to consider with long cooks of anything large. Ask if there's any chance the interior has been contaminated, because it could be spending many, many hours at incubation temperatures.

Again you have said this many times without any reference to facts or examples..

Provide references if you have any, otherwise all you are saying is that if you arent clean when cooking you can get spoilt meat...

And you say a lot of mights in then, when in fact most microbial organisms are killed at typical cook temps for S.V. (just a case of how long they need to be. Held at that particukar temp for essentially a complete kill.

Sadly I can't find a better reference off hand than this: http://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/...ou-boil-meat-before-sous-viding-lactobacillus

Also mentioned in the very bottom comment by Dave Arnold here : http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html?p=3337.html

If you Google "sous vide smelly bacteria long cook" you'll find forum references to people having issues. It doesn't seem super common, and supposedly for whole cuts of meat searing destroys the blue cheese type flavors, but it definitely happens.

Again am after actual references, aka modernist cuisime or the stuff by Douglas Baldwin, not anecdottal evidence.

Sorry but what that suggests to me is poor hygene while cooking or using spoilt meat.

Back