Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cook-Line cook pay per hrs/salary

Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    Tips are for living, salary is for knives
    I wish i can make tips for living but i think it might happen when holiday season the restaurant going do 200 covers up per night or buy out private dinner for group.

"fancy" restaurants start you at about $115 a shift for shift pay back when that was legal (12+ hour shifts). Over time was funny, something about the more overtime you incurred the less $ per hour the overtime pay was hahaha.

Have heard working hours are pretty good over in the states - in London 16-17 hour days are pretty standard in good restaurants, half hour break if you're lucky. Most places will be 4 or 5 days a week, 20-25k per annum for a cdp. No tips (service charge generally goes into your wage).
    Xmas makes you weep, if you still remember how.

i could do 16 hours, 5 days a week... a lot of places here when i was still cooking were 16 hour days, 6 days a week and thats the pace i got used to. Europe was even crazier for me... one place i worked was open 7 days a week and we worked 7 days a week for 3 services each day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob_x View Post
    Have heard working hours are pretty good over in the states - in London 16-17 hour days are pretty standard in good restaurants, half hour break if you're lucky. Most places will be 4 or 5 days a week, 20-25k per annum for a cdp. No tips (service charge generally goes into your wage).
    Xmas makes you weep, if you still remember how.
    That's f'd my worst week was 75 hours, last December I had one day off. Wicked paychecks but it wasn't even worth it. Only time I've hated my job.

Yeah if it's the pace you're used to then it's not so bad. 16x5 in a positive kitchen is fine, it's when it's an aggressive, old school, pan throwing sort of place that it's a struggle. I remember doing 40 hours straight once for new menu prep, with an hours kip on the banquettes in between. Not any more mind you!
    (sorry for the thread jack)

I made about 45K a year top union scale pay. Never went management because of the long hours & I made more per hour carving ice for other hotels. Only reason was able to save is ice business put me in diff. tax bracket so used max 401K at work & IRA's to keep my taxes down over 30 years.

As A registered nurse Janice made close to 70,000 a year.

Not enough ever...

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    i could do 16 hours, 5 days a week... a lot of places here when i was still cooking were 16 hour days, 6 days a week and thats the pace i got used to. Europe was even crazier for me... one place i worked was open 7 days a week and we worked 7 days a week for 3 services each day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
    That crazy Jon, your job remind me when I was join the cruise ship as cook when i graduate culinary school. I was work 5 month straight no day off for 9~10 hrs per days. Did the job more than a years and so glad switch to sushi restaurant. Avoid the heat from the kitchen but a lot faster pace for customer order, 2 mins per sushi roll, sashimi plate, etc.

yeah... we would work until the chef looked at us and thought we were going to die... then we got one service off (i.e. off for lunch, but working dinner)