Cook-Line cook pay per hrs/salary

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tienowen

Reaction score
Hi guys, I new to this forum and me current not back of the house anymore. I just switch to sushi prep/cook for 9 months. I just wondering how much cook make per hrs and bonus. Also, any line cooks work at the high-end restaurant or open kitchen pay would be like.
My current job work around 8 hrs and 5 days per week, the extra will be overtime 1.5 and I get 20% tips work at the sushi bar. My duty just prep rice, fish and vegetable and I miss the old days work in the hot kitchen. I think I make more income this year and a lot to learn.
Thank

I have no idea what work is like in hawaii, but far away in DC a cook with a couple years experience can expect about $14-15, more experience or someone like a broiler cook that nails temps every time can command higher pay, $20+. Cooks don't get tipped out here, so i cant speak for that.

If you're prepping high dollar proteins and fish, I would ask for more.

15-20 here, 6th day is 1.5x pay 7th is 2x, after 3 months I got medical, a year for dental, free meals 3x a day and reduced housing, I rent a one bedroom for about 500, which in jasper is about 1/2 price including heat and lights, etc. but 15 is probably what the average person is going to get, a smidge more if your handicapable, less for a general cook/commis

15-20 here, 6th day is 1.5x pay 7th is 2x, after 3 months I got medical, a year for dental, free meals 3x a day and reduced housing, I rent a one bedroom for about 500, which in jasper is about 1/2 price including heat and lights, etc. but 15 is probably what the average person is going to get, a smidge more if your handicapable, less for a general cook/commis
I currently make almost 18 per hrs plus tip, benefit ex: holiday, sick leaves. After a year I do have 2 weeks pay vacation and 1 free week stay at any their hotel. The living cost little more expensive more than California, but I get a chance to learn a lot in here. I think work in Japanese restaurant I can use the full potential of Japanese knife and techinique, never stop learning like Jiro. How to improve every day!

18 plus 20% tips sounds really good. What kind of sales totals are your tips coming from? I might be in the wrong line of work.
It depends on the days and tip pool of customer give us, The busiest day around 1k total for the restaurant, I get around 60~80 buck top. Usually, every paycheck I get 300~400$ but when the holiday season comes I heard my sushi chef we will do at least 200 covers a night plus sushi omakase, I guess will more money than regular with a bonus per years. I save around 10~20% of my tips for knife addiction funds.
For four~five hour work at dinner service will be a lot busy and hard work.

Tips are for living, salary is for knives :p
I wish i can make tips for living but i think it might happen when holiday season the restaurant going do 200 covers up per night or buy out private dinner for group.

"fancy" restaurants start you at about $115 a shift for shift pay back when that was legal (12+ hour shifts). Over time was funny, something about the more overtime you incurred the less $ per hour the overtime pay was hahaha.

Have heard working hours are pretty good over in the states - in London 16-17 hour days are pretty standard in good restaurants, half hour break if you're lucky. Most places will be 4 or 5 days a week, 20-25k per annum for a cdp. No tips (service charge generally goes into your wage).
Xmas makes you weep, if you still remember how.

i could do 16 hours, 5 days a week... a lot of places here when i was still cooking were 16 hour days, 6 days a week and thats the pace i got used to. Europe was even crazier for me... one place i worked was open 7 days a week and we worked 7 days a week for 3 services each day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)

Have heard working hours are pretty good over in the states - in London 16-17 hour days are pretty standard in good restaurants, half hour break if you're lucky. Most places will be 4 or 5 days a week, 20-25k per annum for a cdp. No tips (service charge generally goes into your wage).
Xmas makes you weep, if you still remember how.

That's f'd my worst week was 75 hours, last December I had one day off. Wicked paychecks but it wasn't even worth it. Only time I've hated my job.

Yeah if it's the pace you're used to then it's not so bad. 16x5 in a positive kitchen is fine, it's when it's an aggressive, old school, pan throwing sort of place that it's a struggle. I remember doing 40 hours straight once for new menu prep, with an hours kip on the banquettes in between. Not any more mind you!
(sorry for the thread jack)

I made about 45K a year top union scale pay. Never went management because of the long hours & I made more per hour carving ice for other hotels. Only reason was able to save is ice business put me in diff. tax bracket so used max 401K at work & IRA's to keep my taxes down over 30 years.

As A registered nurse Janice made close to 70,000 a year.

i could do 16 hours, 5 days a week... a lot of places here when i was still cooking were 16 hour days, 6 days a week and thats the pace i got used to. Europe was even crazier for me... one place i worked was open 7 days a week and we worked 7 days a week for 3 services each day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
That crazy Jon, your job remind me when I was join the cruise ship as cook when i graduate culinary school. I was work 5 month straight no day off for 9~10 hrs per days. Did the job more than a years and so glad switch to sushi restaurant. Avoid the heat from the kitchen but a lot faster pace for customer order, 2 mins per sushi roll, sashimi plate, etc.

yeah... we would work until the chef looked at us and thought we were going to die... then we got one service off (i.e. off for lunch, but working dinner)

Working 17x6 in a Kaiseki kitchen now, I forgot my sister's name for a few seconds last week. Brain is fried.

A few years back it was $15+ an hr and 25% tips from servers and 20% from the bartender minimum 3 days/week and meals. The owners were a little stingy, the place was small and sushi made up about 75% of orders and were often in the weeds since it was just two of us and every person ordered a roll or more and the head sushi chef would often be busy making sashimi or sushi plates and special orders so it was really one person cranking out the whole floor.

Was there any help available when you got in the weeds. Teach a busboy to help with the rolls. Cooks are under paid but rather be busy edge of being in the weeds than slow.

I think around 60~80 cover we can handle, 3 sushi cook and a chef plus kitchen food also. If more than that we ask help from different location chef. It was long days a lot of prep but the food extra a lot we ate all them for our dinner meal, Sushi nigiri can't leave overnight. Not much of sushi roll, a lot thin slice fish with sauce per dish, per person. Food cocktail style.

man, i dont know how some of you guys survive. I would die working 16 hours a day. worst i ever had to do was like 13x6.

my current pay is $15/hour untaxed for easy catering work. It's not steady, but that's perfect for me since im also doing school. worst pay i ever had was working at the place i did 13x6. I got $75 at first, then $80 a day. it was under the table and it was easy work, but still sucked.

I work at a very high end French restaurant in florida the max we pay our cooks is 14.50 a hour but during season (about 6 months of the year) they work about 70 hours a week. It's definitly a livable wage but people always give me trouble when I tell them the pay rate haha. Not my restaurant not my choice

man, struggle really is real in this biz. especially once you go salary. i just did a stretch of 80 hours and trying to enjoy my day off but my landlord had guys come and replace the front door at 8 in the morning while i was trying to sleep. #$%#$#@$@$@#$^^

man, struggle really is real in this biz. especially once you go salary.

For sure. Salary sucks when it's busy. This past spring/summer/autumn has been really hard. It feels like a huge kick in the teeth when retard FOH casuals are earning more p/w but putting in less than 1/2 my hours. Then I hear them whinge about being broke and tired! They have no idea what it's like to have kids and a mortgage.

Back