Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cook-Line cook pay per hrs/salary

Cook-Line cook pay per hrs/salary

Hi guys, I new to this forum and me current not back of the house anymore. I just switch to sushi prep/cook for 9 months. I just wondering how much cook make per hrs and bonus. Also, any line cooks work at the high-end restaurant or open kitchen pay would be like.
    My current job work around 8 hrs and 5 days per week, the extra will be overtime 1.5 and I get 20% tips work at the sushi bar. My duty just prep rice, fish and vegetable and I miss the old days work in the hot kitchen. I think I make more income this year and a lot to learn.
    Thank

I have no idea what work is like in hawaii, but far away in DC a cook with a couple years experience can expect about $14-15, more experience or someone like a broiler cook that nails temps every time can command higher pay, $20+. Cooks don't get tipped out here, so i cant speak for that.

If you're prepping high dollar proteins and fish, I would ask for more.

15-20 here, 6th day is 1.5x pay 7th is 2x, after 3 months I got medical, a year for dental, free meals 3x a day and reduced housing, I rent a one bedroom for about 500, which in jasper is about 1/2 price including heat and lights, etc. but 15 is probably what the average person is going to get, a smidge more if your handicapable, less for a general cook/commis

Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    15-20 here, 6th day is 1.5x pay 7th is 2x, after 3 months I got medical, a year for dental, free meals 3x a day and reduced housing, I rent a one bedroom for about 500, which in jasper is about 1/2 price including heat and lights, etc. but 15 is probably what the average person is going to get, a smidge more if your handicapable, less for a general cook/commis
    I currently make almost 18 per hrs plus tip, benefit ex: holiday, sick leaves. After a year I do have 2 weeks pay vacation and 1 free week stay at any their hotel. The living cost little more expensive more than California, but I get a chance to learn a lot in here. I think work in Japanese restaurant I can use the full potential of Japanese knife and techinique, never stop learning like Jiro. How to improve every day!

18 plus 20% tips sounds really good. What kind of sales totals are your tips coming from? I might be in the wrong line of work.
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

40k, tipout, meal comps, 2 weeks paid, 5 sick paid, gas stipend. Tips work out to another 3k a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    18 plus 20% tips sounds really good. What kind of sales totals are your tips coming from? I might be in the wrong line of work.
    It depends on the days and tip pool of customer give us, The busiest day around 1k total for the restaurant, I get around 60~80 buck top. Usually, every paycheck I get 300~400$ but when the holiday season comes I heard my sushi chef we will do at least 200 covers a night plus sushi omakase, I guess will more money than regular with a bonus per years. I save around 10~20% of my tips for knife addiction funds.
    For four~five hour work at dinner service will be a lot busy and hard work.

that 20% thing isn't too uncommon at sushi places I hear
    Blue skies over bad lands

Tips are for living, salary is for knives

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbroth View Post
    that 20% thing isn't too uncommon at sushi places I hear
    I don't know how this hotel work, my co-worker sushi 1 get 30%, the tip pool when guest eating at sushi bar different also.