Steels I am working with

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefcomesback

Reaction score
I have narrowed down my carbon steels to 3 choices ,
52100 has been my go to steel for a while and recently I have changed my heat treatment to give more hardness compared to the early knives I have made. With pretty much same sharpenability to my test and according to user feedback . I like the edge that properly forged and heat treated 52100 can take and the ease of maintenance of it . Especially when hand sanded to higher grits it is very stable and that's what I have been using at work for no reactivity issues . I leave them at 62-63 hrc, have done it in San mai however it is a very easy to maintain for monosteel .
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474026082.079594.jpg

It is the by far hardest the forge out of this bunch , doesn't move much under the hammer compared to the other clad or monosteels.
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474025820.511593.jpg

Second steel ( actually 2 steels that are almost same ) Is takefu 's vtoku and hitachi's blue .
Their chemical composition is almost same and they produce great blades ( with right heat treatment of course )
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474025947.362177.jpg

A quick grind to check the core steel of stainless clad takefu vtoku after tempering
I am in talks with takefu to import this steel in bulk ( along with sg2 San mai ) fingers crossed

Compared to 52100 they tend be more abrasion resistant , slightly better edge retention but where 52100 comes back to life with strop times after times vtoku and blue doesn't respond to strop as well . I use 6k at work to bring them back to life , few strokes seem to be enough for back in action .

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474028063.552005.jpg a blue2 core paring knife I made in warikomi construction
My vtoku and hitachi blue 2 San mai are heat treated to around 63-64hrc

As for monosteels I heat treat my blue honyaki to 64-65 hrc , even at that hardness it deburrs easy and the edge flexes when pushed with nails rather than chipping . Of course I don't recommend honyaki to any body , they require more attention and can't take abuse like a San mai can
It doesn't produce the same hamon that simple carbon steels produce but I do love the edge it can take and keep
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474026692.195814.jpg

Here is a blue 2 honyaki yanagiba I made , I decided to keep this since I wasn't happy with its polish and got it Rockwell tested

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474026309.843335.jpg

Last steel I have been using is W2 , only for my honyakis, simple carbon steels like w2 and hitachi's white give the best hamons possible . They are around 64hrc , bit less abrasion resistant than blue however takes a super fine edge .
And those hamons are addictive [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

https://instagram.com/p/BJ2oFuehSam/

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474028477.561060.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474028525.634587.jpg

https://instagram.com/p/BAM0jm0APfm/

I will be working on my Damascus mix pretty soon , in the mean time let me know if you have any questions

Mert

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and all the pics! Looking forward to seeing what comes out of your workshop!

How do you determine which monosteel blades will receive a hamon from the heat treatment? Is it based on the steel used?

Mert, is the Takefu steel the same as V2? Just curious as the only honyaki I've owned was in V2 and I thought the steel performed well...the hamon was more similar to blue 2.

Cheers

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and all the pics! Looking forward to seeing what comes out of your workshop!

How do you determine which monosteel blades will receive a hamon from the heat treatment? Is it based on the steel used?

There are steels that produce better hamon than the others . The lower alloy ones with low manganese produce the best hamons ,I use clay mixture to do my differential hardening

Mert, is the Takefu steel the same as V2? Just curious as the only honyaki I've owned was in V2 and I thought the steel performed well...the hamon was more similar to blue 2.

Cheers

Takefu steel is the producer of v2 , shiro, v toku, v1 , vtoku special , sg2 , vg10and other steels
V2 is closer to hitachi's White than blue . What determines the hamon is also has to do with the clay ( or lack of it in some knives ) thickness of it , type ,heat , quenching medium ( brine, oil , water , dragons blood [emoji16]) ... many factors , that's one of the things it gets you excited to see what happened after the quench to check the outline of the hamon
You can get a crazy active hamons with blue not just straight lines

Back