Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just took the jump to Hobbyist Craftsman!

I just would like to mention that Matus was very modest when he mentioned that "The only gyuto is currently on long term loan to a chef in Prague and the feedback has been rather positive"...The feedback was HIGHLY positive:-)...he loves the knife and was excited about it (I meet that guy quite often so I have first-hand feedback, currently he uses it at work more often than his beloved Konosuke Fujiyama Blue 2 gyuto what already says something)...I personally had the opportunity to test the knife for a few days along with some other toys like Kato, Gesshin Hide, Munetoshi, Tanaka Blue 2, Kochi santoku and all of my knives including, Itinomonn, Yoshikane, etc. (we also had a nice knife party with Matus and that guy about one month ago:-) - here are a few photos of the toys: http://rhamphorhynchus.rajce.idnes.c...party/)....and was also excited how the knife cuts, I tried to make a "face to face" comparison of all those knives on tomatoes, carrots and potatoes one day...and Matus's gyuto scored the 2nd place of all of them, slightly behind Munetoshi, it was definitely one of the very best cutting knives I have ever held...And that 52100 150 mm petty was also very pleasant to use...

I don't intend to praise Matus's work somehow uncritically just because we are friends, its obvious that its a long way from a single good knife to a consistent high quality (and Matus, of course, is fully aware of that), but I truly believe that he has a great potential to reach that point and all the necessary prerequsities (OK, currently except enough time for the knife work, but that's a separate story:-)) for it! So, good luck, Matus:-)!

Matus, congratulations on becoming a hobbyist craftsman. Looking forward to seeing your knives, especially since your photography skills are so good!

Krakorak, thank you, I do not quite know what to say other than the knife getting so much praise changed its profile (and lost about 10 mm in lenght) because of all the mistakes I did in its production. I did my best to give it a thin, convex geometry and I am very happy that it cuts so well, but there is so much to improve so that the knife comes out as I want it to. I do hope to improve on that once I get a new grinder (it takes longer than expected, unfortunately)

And a little correction - that petty is O1. 52100 is unfortunately not available for stock removal in Europe.

Bill - haha, photography skills. I have indeed spent in my life much more time with photographing than with knifemaking and it shows (on both ends)

Congrats! Looking forward to following the continuation of your journey