Video my 2 diff stones, one takes 1/2 hr to performance, the other is good from the start-any ideas?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Video my 2 diff stones, one takes 1/2 hr to performance the other is good from the start-any ideas?

(Also any side comments about technique are most welcome. Hope what I'm doing doesn't foretell slicing myself someday.)

Is this the difference between how the stones are constructed? Any info here might help me select the full size stones I will be purchasing later this fall. There are 2 vendors here I would like to buy stones from, but the choice ultimately comes down performance compromises best fitting my expectations.

The Imanishi 4K takes about a half hour of use before it stays damp enough to let the blade glide across without gumming up right away. After that half hour it is really nice to work the blades across. The green Chosera is a 1K.... that takes very little water, is very consistent from start - really no stickiness.

Here are 2 - 1 minute videos, one where I have been on the Imanishi 4K for a half hour. (It rested for about 30 minutes while I prepped for the video and started to dry, so took a bit of water.) This, as far as I know, is S&G, but the 1st half hour of use I have to put water on it ever 4 or 5 strokes of the knife. It gets mud fast but dries almost immediately.

The other is the Chosera 1K, starting out dry in the video.

Links - I obviously don't know how to insert videos.

Imanishi 4K [video]https://geneh.smugmug.com/Public-Shared-/Carving/i-4rWw3Qq/A[/video]
Chosera 1K [video]https://geneh.smugmug.com/Public-Shared-/Carving/i-LShpp9n/A[/video]

How long did you soak the imanishi?

yeah, you’re right, the tamago should be s&g. some s&g stones (like the chosera 5000) are very thirsty and do well with a few minutes of soaking. you can dry it in a damp cloth if you want to be sure not get any cracks on the stone (although I dont know if this relevant for this stone)

not sure if its related but youre set up seems a bit shaky / wobbly.

I didn't soak the Imanishi - just kept adding water as I played around, and was pleasantly surprised when it had enough and everything changed. As far as drying in a damp towel, that is very relevant. One evening I was using under hot incandescent lamps sharpening carving chisels and and carving knife. Forgot about it and it developed a small crack.

That setup was not solid as you noted! :) Today I have a full 2 inch tall wood block supporting the stones.

I gather from the response, one of the questions I have to ask is, "does this S&G benefit from a few minutes soak?"

I guess in this case Imanishi 4K isn't a good representation of a S&G and that helps me just accept the stone as it is.

Dave - good to know I can soak it a bit before a session. Much better than what I was doing. I welcome the opportunity to see how I like soaking a stone and storing it when done.

The Imanishi T 4K was still damp, so I let it sit in water for about 5 minutes. No bubbles, but it needed little water for the hour or so I used it tonight. Had a great time just forgetting about stuff and tweaking the knives that I haven't used on the stone before.

Seems to work better when muddy, but if I leave too much dirty mud the blade get hazy instead of shiny.

Back