Burr in sharpening question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does a burr only form whenever you're sharpening the actual cutting bevel or cutting edge? So that this would mean that whenever I'm sharpening and I'm not feeling a burr I'm not actually hitting the edge. Or is it possible for a burr to form whenever you're thinning (assuming you're note wobbling and lot and hitting the edge). I know that intuitively a burr should only form whenever you're hitting the edge but I want to confirm it with those who are more knowledgeable than I am.
Also if the angle of sharpening is too obtuse does a more pronounced burr usually form compared to if the angle is just right?

Thanks. I suppose this also serves as my first post. I'm a somewhat long time lurker. Recently made an account and have learned a lot through the search function and reading posts. Hope to learn tons more. Nice to meet you all.

Welcome:) You are right a burr forms when two edges are meeting. Burr formation can vary depending how thin the grind is and previous bevels put on the blade.

Discounting cheap stainless, better steels you can get a pronounced burr just with heavy finger pad pressure behind the edge, it is not always because of obtuse angle. That said with quality gyuto's you do not want to go too high on the bevels they cut better and the edge does not round as easy.

Welcome aboard!
Have seen some very slight burr formation when thinning behind the edge, where I could verify the edge was far from being touched at all. Therefore you should at least touch up the very edge after thinning.
When the very edge is reached one single stroke will create a clear burr. Beware of rounded edges and micro-bevels.

Back