Media New knife; help identify please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M_D_Kaiser

Reaction score
Hi,
bought a chinese cleaver (technically it seems to be taiwanese) in a local Asian store. I was wondering if anyone could identify/translate what's written on it and give me some information about it.

It seems to be carbon steel clad in stainless (put some mustard on it yesterday, and the edge started to develop a patina while the upper portion didn't).

Here are the pics:

Their telephone number seems to be (02)3812180...

:sofa:

Looks like a fun knife :D, I don't know any chinese, hopefully someone here does!

From Ximen, Taiwan or something like that. I had one of those for a while when I was working in a Chinese kitchen. Didn't seem to patina for me at all so I assumed it was stainless.

I already googled the phone number with no results; I doubt calling would help (probably gonna reach a Taiwanese call center...).

The knife is definitely stainless steel around a carbon inside; the edge has stained significantly by now and smells like my other carbon knife. It's sharp as hell, even after making 2 meals with it.

It is incredibly fun to use a Chinese kitchen knife. Instead of precision cuts I just hammer away. And I don't need a garlic press anymore, haha.

Definitely a steal at 26 bucks.

It is incredibly fun to use a Chinese kitchen knife. Instead of precision cuts I just hammer away. And I don't need a garlic press anymore, haha.

Interesting, while I certainly agree that a Cleaver are awesome knives, my favorite for an all-arounder, I like it for different reasons! One of my major loves of cleavers is their ability to mince with the best of them -- one of my favorite things to do with my cleaver is to go to town on garlic cloves, minced onion-style (series of horizontal then vertical cuts, then slice perpendicular), I find I have a very, although initially very surprising, fine amount of control! Glad you're enjoying then knife!

Nice find!

At the top, as Mel says, is the brand 'Ximen' ('Western Gate'). Ximen is a neighbourhood of Taipei.

The columns in the middle are basically marketing blurb: 'high quality vegetable knife' (center column). Bottom is the Taipei City street address and, you guessed, it el numero telefono.

Back