Quantcast
My laser is a jewel! petty by raisedbybrocks
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My laser is a jewel! petty by raisedbybrocks

My laser is a jewel! petty by raisedbybrocks

I just received this one, a day after I received Spike's Pettysuki, were Spike's is a gorgeous example of utilitarian form and function, Will's is almost jewel like in its appearance, the petty is light as air and is as thin as tissue paper. The Maple burl Handle places all of it's beauty in the forefront, while Spike's is more mysterious and alluring. I have a deep love for old school Damascus and this does not disappoint the pattern is like oil on water. Etched deeply and hand rubbed to a high luster. I see this and I think smoked steel on ancient Viking swords. It's that good
    This knife came out of the box damn sharp. The edge shimmers. I don't know if it is sharp because he worked his magic or because the blade is so thin, or both. Whatever it is I approve. The blade is flexible yet surprisingly stiff for such a thin blade.
    I have used it all day to chiffonade herbs and to thin slice smaller pieces of proteins with amazingly smooth results. definitely suited for more delicate work, perhaps I shall make it my sausage knife.
    Everyone here wanted to grab and use Spike's pettysuki. but nobody wanted to touch Will's petty not out of lack of respect or that funky hump on the back, but because they didn't want to do anything to mess it up. They respected them both, but in very different ways.

Petty
    Specifications
    Materials – 15n20 and plain carbon, (ave. 0.8%C) this is a high layer W’s pattern forged out so the W’s stretch out and unravel. I call it unravelled W’s.
    Blade length – 156mm
    Blade width – 31mm
    Blade Thickness – 1.8mm tapering to 1.2mm to 2/3rds of the spine, before tip taper.
    Handle length – 118mm
    Handle Materials – Maple Burl.
    Balance point – Finger on Choil.
    Grind – Full flat with approximately 7 degree per side secondary. Micro-bevel set at 11 degrees per side.
    Finish - Hand rubbed to 1200gt.

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMGP1007.jpg
    http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMGP1008.jpg
    http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMGP1011.jpg
    http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMGP1005.jpg
    http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/IMGP1006.jpg
    Last edited by sachem allison; 09-21-2011 at 03:55 AM. Reason: see if I can add some pictures

these are my pictures, not as good as Will's. I can't figure out this new camera
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Gorgeous knife. Thanks for the details on grind and finish.

Can you share pricing on this and the pettysuki?

And who are Will and Spike?

Spikec and Raisedbybrocks two forum members here. pm me and I will send you details

Thanks for the review Son. I'm really happy it lives up to your expectations. You'll be needing a knife roll soon.... Just for your pettys.

That looks great! Congrats on the new knife. and nice work by raisedbybrocks.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

Nice! Looks handy.

Damn... I just messed up my pants from seeing that knife. People who do pattern welded steel should take notice, that is a gorgeous knife. Where do I get one btw?

Just wait til it starts to patina, mine from the same billet looks better with every use. Sharpens up nicely and gives good feedback on the stones too.

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    Just wait til it starts to patina, mine from the same billet looks better with every use. Sharpens up nicely and gives good feedback on the stones too.
    I have to say the most beautiful patina I have ever seen, rainbows and sparkles. I wish I could get a picture but the lighting is wrong and I don't know how to use this camera yet. lol

+ Reply to Thread