Quantcast
What is your sharpness test?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your sharpness test?

What is your sharpness test?

So what do you do to tell if your edge is ready or not?

I like stropping on a very hard piece of leather and at around a 60 degree angle, when I think it is ready I usually try to do a very small nick on the leather which needless to say is hard as a rock. If it doesn't satisfy my leather cutting I usually go back to the 1k and start over.

the bent paper test and hair whittling are usually reliable enough indicators for me, if i'm sharpening for actual use. i have lots of tests if i'm just sharpening to see how sharp i can get a knife.

Depends, I used to push cut thin cigarette papers, but a ripe tomato seems a more suitable test for a kitchen knife. I can pretty much feel when an edge is there now as it is sticky to the touch, like a razor blade.

I run the edge accross my fingers.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by chazmtb View Post
    I run the edge accross my fingers.
    It sounds crazy but this really works.

I just make sure I have at least some piece of produce I can cut after I'm done sharpening. Usually an onion or tater. That way I'm testing on what I would need the edge for anyway. But I always also basically shave my left arm half bare and giggle the whole time like a mad man. Then I cut paper into shreds and leave it all over the house like a weirdo and as it piles up make my wife angry....She's pretty awesome though and loves a sharp ass knife.

Quote Originally Posted by G-rat View Post
    I just make sure I have at least some piece of produce I can cut after I'm done sharpening. Usually an onion or tater. That way I'm testing on what I would need the edge for anyway. But I always also basically shave my left arm half bare and giggle the whole time like a mad man. Then I cut paper into shreds and leave it all over the house like a weirdo and as it piles up make my wife angry....She's pretty awesome though and loves a sharp ass knife.
    you are a madman

first i check with my fingers running along the edge. if i feel scared i move on. i check if the edge catches my thumbnail. if it does i move on. then i check to see if it can shave. if it shaves i move on.

from there i usually try it out on extra produce. this along with feeling the edge are really the best way to see how good an edge is. just put it to use

Three finger test, or the new test that will be an industry standard, for sure.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by G-rat View Post
    But I always also basically shave my left arm half bare and giggle the whole time like a mad man. Then I cut paper into shreds and leave it all over the house like a weirdo and as it piles up make my wife angry....She's pretty awesome though and loves a sharp ass knife.
    This. I'm pretty happy as long as it cleanly shaves a patch of hair off my left arm, and whips through whatever paper I have nearby. After a few knives, it looks like I had a ticker tape parade celebrating my recent battle with mange, but whatever.

I just use paper because I sharpen at home. I know it would be better to actually cut food, but I can usually feel differences in how easily a blade cuts paper so I think it is still fairly useful

+ Reply to Thread