home cook needs a recommendation for the first knife to learn using the stones with

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlBaron

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
Gyoto

Are you right or left handed?
lefty, but use the right hand with the knife (long story)

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240 or larger

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
probably, see reasoning below

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
not sure what that number SHOULD be, given that I'm looking for a training+ knife

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for

slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
push cut

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
bamboo, wood, synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? - not yet

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? - absolutely

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? yes

=============================================

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum, it's nice to be here.

I'll try to avoid a long introduction and will try to explain what I"m looking for help with.

I am looking for a knife that:

a) is a large size chef knife;
b) I could use to learn to use the stones with;
c) won't be just a "training" knife - I won't necessarily have to upgrade once I learn the how to sharpen properly.
d) esthetically pleasing;

Stainless Steel vs Carbon - I'm not quite sure yet. Probably leaning towards SS, because I'm still not sure if I'll truly commit to the maintenance/upkeep that Carbon knives require. It depends on how steep my stone learning curve be. But I'm still open to be convinced otherwise

Thanks guys,

Alex

If all you want is a good knife victoronox would be a good bet or suisin. Upgrades from there are gessin ginga and sukenari stainless westren. If your knife skills are on point you could get a takamura 210mm gyuto albeit that's an advanced knife.

Gesshin stainless is a good knife. Sharpens up easy, holds it fairly well. Could use a good spine and choil rounding is all.

Perhaps a CarboNext? By reputation, it's a good blade in need of thinning and better sharpening. Since the OP is looking for sharpening practice....

I have the Gesshin Stainless in 210 and have gifted a few. Great knife, esp at the price. A 240 would be an excellent entry knife. Could be your last knife - but probably won't be...:cool2:

Budget?

Welcome to the site. Great people with a lot of insight. Learning to sharpen really isn't too difficult but is a great skill that will stay with you. Using a good sharp knife will make prepping at home a fun task.

Cheers,
rj

Budget?

Welcome to the site. Great people with a lot of insight. Learning to sharpen really isn't too difficult but is a great skill that will stay with you. Using a good sharp knife will make prepping at home a fun task.

Cheers,
rj

not necessarily have a budget in mind. I want it to be a step above the basic "knockaround that could be discarded once I learn how to sharpen"...

$200?

I'd grab the gesshin that everyone linked. I wouldn't say that a $200 dollar knife is disposable. The stainless is good to let others try on and for someone that will not give a carbon the proper care. I still have a Misono UX10 that I bought when they were around $140 and it is a good knife. My wife uses it a decent amount, and my friends when they come to visit.

Under budget and you can step up a notch to the Gesshin Uraku stainless. I have heard very good things about them.

Back