recommendation for wide bevel project gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgray

Reaction score
Looking for a wide bevel project gyuto
240mm
Carbon prefferablly w2 but open to others
Wa handle maybe no handle
Looking for flat profile
<$150

I want a knife to learn more about sharpening on. Something to experiment with seems like I missed the handleless Tanakas . There as re some Gekko on ebay but they don't look very flat.

Thanks

Jeff

I have a KU Tanaka from James and can only say that it is not really a wide bevel knife as the grind is quite continuos and blends into the KU part relatively far from the the cutting edge.

Check out Wakui knives.

Did you consider to try to locate some 2nd hand knife here on KKF (e.g. Itinomonn )? If you get one with a traditional WA handle it will be easy to remove it if you want to make one yourself.

I too always thought the Tanaka KU had wide bevel grind? Good to know, thanks for clearing that up Matus. :doublethumbsup:
My Tanakas are the damascus versions so I have no first hand knowledge of his KU knives.

The Shiro Kamo KU has a wide bevel grind, if anyone is wondering?

Metalmaster has a couple VG10 Nashiji 210mm wt. D wa handle left. It is a tall bevel nice blade only 100.00. Sold out of the 240's a while back. I have no problem with the Tanaka D handles work well for me.

If wanting to practice tall bevels a shorter knife is OK. Plus you have a nice 210mm out of the deal for cheap.

I just went and checked my KU Tanaka and I have to take my previous statement back. It is more-less a wide bevel knife, just the transition to the part where KU is is not su sharp as with other knives (Munetoshi or even Kochi). So it would not be the best to learn to sharpen wide bevel (or put a kasumi finish on) as the slightest error on stones while working on the upper part of the bevel would mean scratching/removing the kurouchi. And the kurouchi is relatively easy to remove as it is relatively thin and smooth.

Did you consider to try to locate some 2nd hand knife here on KKF (e.g. Itinomonn )? If you get one with a traditional WA handle it will be easy to remove it if you want to make one yourself.

Matus, are you meaning the Kasumi Itinomonn knives are considered wide beveled? (I haven't gotten close to needing to thin mine but it did not strike me as such)

Matus, are you meaning the Kasumi Itinomonn knives are considered wide beveled? (I haven't gotten close to needing to thin mine but it did not strike me as such)

Ditto, and I couldn't call my Kasumi Wakui wide-bevelled either. Great knives but not wide-bevel project knives. If the VG10 Tanakas are ground like the ginsanko versions then that's a good option. That shiro Kamo looks good too.

I got a gesshin uraku 210 white#2 to practice sharpening. Thin it out a bit and you're set. For $125 you can't beat it.

It's a great knife for starters for sure. It does not have the wide blade road the op is looking for though.

Ohh reading comprehension for the win. I didn't see the white #2 part and thought he was talking about the stainless. Sorry guys. I'll go sit in the corner now.

I indeed meant the kurouchi ones (both Itinomonn and Wakui).

If I may give you my opinion. Although, I am no expert so, it is just my point of view, I do not want to look like patronising.

If I were you, I would not buy a project knife. I would advice to directly buy the wide bevel knife that you want to have and to keep. Excpet if you spend 1 hour1 on a 140 diamond stones without checking you are not going to ruin a knife. And sharpening wide bevel is actually much much easier than sharpening the convex knives. Sharpening a knife that you like and care about may make you much more learning because you are going to pay extra attention and you are going to be careful. I would advice to go slowly the first time and check regularly what you are doing. Do not forget to watch videos: I personally find (JBroida) videos very easy to follow.

Life is too short to buy anything but excellent knives.

Yes that is an advantage of wide bevel knives they are easy to sharpen because the grind makes them thin behind the edge. Carbon high bevel blade is a joy to sharpen. Fat, thin, high bevels, single bevels you can get spoiled sharpening carbon steel.

Latest posts

Back