Quantcast
New Mizuno 270 Gyuto - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Mizuno 270 Gyuto

Quote Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post
    Glad to hear it worked well for you. I felt the exact same. Something was missing before, and afterwards the knife felt at peace... Wow, that's the lamest thing I've ever written on a message board before...

EDIT: If you don't mind me asking, how clean were you able to keep the shinogi line? I could keep it very clean near the heel, but towards the tip the transition from the secondary bevel to the thick of the blade is so small that sharpening rounded over that distinct line very quickly for me...
    I'll post some really embarrassing photos when I get home man

Ok so it might look crappy but it cuts like a dream...

You cant see the mirror finish but its there at the edge...wish I was a better photographer

Ok one more time...

Its awful...

damn... I know the feeling bro, remember its meant to be used not looked at.

Right right. Yeah I mean holding the knife Basically flat on the stone I guess it's unavoidable to some extent. I also was in sort if a rush when polishing cuz I had a meeting but whatever. It cuts stuff like it's not even there. And I'm sure this knife could get way sharper too.

remember you can always polish more with a 10k or something. i think there is one up for sale here.

i like the attitude. i did the same thing with my HD when i got it. i dont think it went 3 shifts before i started thinning and the only reason i waited was to give an initial edge quality and profile description and review to everyone here. you should see what it looks like now (only on one side tho)

G-Rat, I wouldn't worry about that at all. Mine was similar, though I kept it a little cleaner - I have some experience with single bevel knives, so I can get a pretty good polish. Plus, I spent quite a bit of time flattening the secondary bevel which is basically a necessity for getting a good finish off of stones. You could actually polish it up with sandpaper or micromesh and not have to worry so much about flattening the bevel. Just looking at it, I would say that you need a better grit progression to get a better looking polish - I can still see a lot of heavier marks from lower grit stones in their. I once polished mine up to a kasumi natural stone finish. If you ever want to play around with getting a cool finish this knife is a good one to work on. But to be perfectly honest, the iron cladding on this knife patinas extremely fast and get's quite dark (at least in my experience) and makes spending a lot of time on the polish not worth it, IMO. Whenever I sharpen the knife now I just polish up to my 6k King and just try to have a basically even scratch pattern, and the patina will cover the rest up - it's a waste of time to try and bring out the contrast of the jigane/hagane on this knife IMO. I usually only hit the edge bevel and microbevel with my natural finisher, and don't bother hitting the secondary bevel at all at that high of a grit.

I'd like to hear what your experience is about the reactivity of this knife. I find that the knife patinas very fast, but that the food I cut with it tends to not suffer any ill effects from the reactivity of the knife. Now I'm not a pro, so I'm not cutting things that need to stay clean and fresh with no browning for a full service, but I do make a lot of dips and salsas in batches where I leave - for instance - my onion dice sitting out for a time while I prep all of the other ingredients. I've never experienced any browning or off odors or anything with this knife, even with a completely fresh polish and all patina removed. Okay, that's not exactly true. I got an awful stink from a vinegar/mustard combo that I used to force a patina early on, but that actually set on the knife for an extended time and you expect to get funky colors and stank when forcing a patina.

I had a similar issue when I thinned and mirror-polished my White#2 Sakai Yusuke and then shortly after decided the mirror was too 'sticky' - so I decide to instal some scratches with my Chocera #400:

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    I had a similar issue when I thinned and mirror-polished my White#2 Sakai Yusuke and then shortly after decided the mirror was too 'sticky' - so I decide to instal some scratches with my Chocera #400:

that looks pretty nice, for a 400. how long did you spend on that?

Blasphemy

+ Reply to Thread