280mm honyaki workhorse gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefcomesback

Reaction score
Hi everyone , I managed to finish this knife for a patient client of mine and managed to get few pics before I shipped it .
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474865420.590894.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474865471.567889.jpg
During the making of the knife the steel choice , the construction and the size changed few times but at the Sydney knife show my client used my tester workhorse gyuto and he was set on profile and the grind

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474865523.381420.jpg

It's forged from W2, differentially heat treated with clay . 280mm at the edge and 58mm tall ( same dimensions as my tester knife ) slight asymmetric ground for right handed person and smaller handle than the one I made for my workhorse .

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474865565.246108.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474865629.971820.jpg

The activity on the hamon and the clouds can be seen better in these pictures
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474865689.968869.jpg

Handle is octagonal ebony , nickel spacer and walrus Ivory ferrule .
Usual treatment of rounded spine and choil finished to 1500grit
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474865720.650398.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474865741.428262.jpg
I have tried something for the first time , instead of using heavy hardwood I have used pine which is very easy to work with and I have charred the outside , it resembles to the burnt chestnut and feels very similar
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474865773.810984.jpg

I have to say I have been giving lot more importance to my fit and finish compared to my earlier knives , hope you can see the difference .
Feel free to comment , thanks for looking

That looks incredible, Mert and the F&F looks top notch for sure. that's going to make someone real happy.

Hey Mert, sweet knife! :doublethumbsup:

I asked about the scorched wood on your instagram because last weekend I tried a test piece of pine for saya making but it warped badly. I had a 1/4 inch or 6.35 mm thick plank of crafting store pine that I scorch tested (plan was to chisel out the blade shape in one piece and glue another flat piece to it), but it must've still had a lot of moisture because it warped a lot. Probably bowed up the same distance as the thickness.

So if you don't me picking your brain a bit, can you tell me how thick a piece of pine you started with?

I don't have any tools except hand tools, so I'm trying to figure a way to make this work with thin starting wood materials. Maybe ironing the unscorched side to see if it'll straighten or microwaving the wood first to dry it out more? Thank you for any advice! :thanx:

Hey Mert, sweet knife! :doublethumbsup:

I asked about the scorched wood on your instagram because last weekend I tried a test piece of pine for saya making but it warped badly. I had a 1/4 inch or 6.35 mm thick plank of crafting store pine that I scorch tested (plan was to chisel out the blade shape in one piece and glue another flat piece to it), but it must've still had a lot of moisture because it warped a lot. Probably bowed up the same distance as the thickness.

So if you don't me picking your brain a bit, can you tell me how thick a piece of pine you started with?

I don't have any tools except hand tools, so I'm trying to figure a way to make this work with thin starting wood materials. Maybe ironing the unscorched side to see if it'll straighten or microwaving the wood first to dry it out more? Thank you for any advice! :thanx:

It shrunk a bit too but luckily i managed to stop it with ca glue immediately , I am working on this material , I will try few things before I settle on method and I am more than happy to share if I get consistent results

Back