Quantcast
Cutting Cherry Tomatoes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Cherry Tomatoes

Cutting Cherry Tomatoes

How do you cut your cherry tomatoes?

I used to do them one or two at a time, but then I started using my hand, laying it flat on top of 10 or so tomatoes, and then cutting them laterally all at once. Sometimes it didn't work if the tomatoes varied in size too much or -- as one time happened -- my thumb pad got in the way.

Anyhow, I heard that our favorite TV host, Rachael Ray, has been popularizing this method where you use two food container covers to help slice the tomatoes safely up the middle. The link below is just an example of the tip. I'm sure others have done it long before Ms. Ray.

Cutting Cherry Tomatoes

I guess that lid thing is safer, but I still use my hand. I'm too lazy to get lids. I just do a few tomatoes at a time, and if they are all uniform in size, I do more.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

I've been cutting cherry tomatoes like that since my family has grown them... 5+ years now, I have two lids set aside in my drawer believe it or not.

Theory has an awesome video that is posted on cktg.com under the tojiro bread knife product page. He lays them out and places his hand over lots of and goes sideways with his bread knife. Doing this cuts like 10 at a time and makes it a cinch. If you aren't careful and your blade angle is wrong you won't get super even slices but I have been doing this and can clear pint cases of these in like two swipes thanks to Theory. Made it sooo much quicker. I've learned a lot from watching your videos Theory, thanks a million.

Ok also just learned something else...actually look at the links people post...What an idiot! That's basically what I learned from Theory but just using the lids. I'm an idiot man. Sorry. looks like a good site to check out

Hahaha cool man you're very welcome! Glad the vids help.

1:33 mark

4:41 mark
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I've been doing it with my hand since I saw Rick do it a while back. Guests think it's very impressive. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I'll cut off half my palm before I feel anything so the darn things come out with a "thick half" on top and the "thin half" on the bottom...

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I've been doing it with my hand since I saw Rick do it a while back. Guests think it's very impressive. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I'll cut off half my palm before I feel anything so the darn things come out with a "thick half" on top and the "thin half" on the bottom...
    Ditto here.

-AJ

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

That's where the lids come in

Yeah, my wife cringes when I do it. She knows how sharp my knives are.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    That's where the lids come in
    But then that's cheating...

I hold them one at a time and slice to order... there's only two of us
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

+ Reply to Thread