That just flat out sucks ass. Give 'em hell David!
That really stinks. I hope whatever happens you are able to get a lease with at least a year or two term.
Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
That sucks David. My suggestion as a Montanan would be that you barricade yourself in your shop within a fortress of cutting boards, blast some CCR, and don't give up until they relent!
Sucks Dave. Hopefully you have some good Karma coming your way to offset some of the recent history.
Thats not very nice of them. 30 days is completely unreasonable I think. Moving workshop is like an investment and you need to get value out of it. I would firm up what deal they are offering, and put into figures an estimate of move costs. Last time I had to move it cost me around £5000 not including loss of work time, but I have some heavy kit and needed to install all the electrics, build shelves and benches etc. If they can't be clear about what they are offering I would find another landlord, as they just cost you a load of money. If your going to do a deal do it before you've moved your stuff, once you've done all that they know they have got you. I would look at other options just so as to not be put in a corner by them and you might find a real gem of a workshop for less money.
On the bright side, every time you move, your space gets better and better thought out and evolved for your needs.
Just spent the morning with a rental agent looking at buildings. The first one depressed me greatly! Larger, further out, double the rent and looked like s*** on a white rag. They offered three months free rent but that was it. No other allowances or help in any way.
The second was a little better. Still in the complex I am in now, larger with wooden floors but no drive-in door. There is one roll-up door I can have moved but that is going to be more expense. Same rent and still offering three months free but adding extra for power where it is included now.
As I told the rental agent, I could tie them up in court with eviction proceedings for 3 to 6 months, maybe longer if I work it just right. That didn't seem to faze him a bit. He just said I needed to be out ASAP but I will drag my feet as much as possible to tie the new tenant up. He is in a bigger bind, his current building has been condemned and he has to move NOW! I can continue to build and if push comes to shove, I can always store the equipment and finish the remaining stock I have out of the old cramped home shop.
As I was on the phone this morning finding out about moving costs for the phone, alarm, HVAC and electric the associated costs rose steeply. Add to those the cost of truck rental and getting temp help plus the business I will loose in October by not being as available as I was, the costs are looking to be in the $12,000.00 range. That isn't something I just have lying around.
I apologize for not sounding more positive, I surely don't want to be that way. Normally I am a happy person but the meeting yesterday afternoon where I got the news was a load I wasn't expecting and floored me. Like I was kicked in the teeth after I have fallen down. Sure has taken all the wind out of me. But, thanks for all your support. It is much appreciated.
Sucky situation, the only leverage you have is going to eviction court and making them lose the huge rent they would be getting during that time. Use that leverage.
I'd also think about contacting the people who want to rent your shop, they would probably put extra pressure on the land lord to help you out if it got them in sooner.
x2 on the sucky situation. Sadly with month-to-month leases, one of the two parties will be left hanging when the other decides to terminate without any more warning then required by the lease agreement. Either the tenant is left searching for a new place with very little notice, or the landlord is left paying a mortgage on a space that sits empty for a month or two before he can line up a new tenant.
I'm not sure what, if anything, the landlord is doing here that is so bad; they appear to be operating within the requirements of the lease agreement -- which obviously both parties agreed to. But this is really coming at a bad time for Dave, which is what makes it extra tough. If nothing else, an extra month or two of notice would have been helpful, but I do not see where the landlord would owe anything beyond what is spelled out in the lease.
But Dave, you do have my condolences. It has been a tough year for you, and this is the last thing you need to deal with right now -- especially when it seems like your business is going at top speed.
Sadly they are doing what the rental agreement spells out for ending the agreement. They gave verbal notice for 30 days to vacate. I can live with that. What I will do is present my last rental check in person on 9/30 with a 30 day notice to vacate in writing.
BTW Supposidly the new tenant is in a nuilding which has been comdemned and has to move. The Planning and Inspections dept has no knowledge of any place in town that fits that description.
IF you lose the action based on this, will there be a counter suit or damages that you have to pay? That would be more catastrophic..best to get legal advise and know your rights clearly before you do anything. A clear logical decision has to be made. IF you have no case.. best to ask negotiate for assistance, slight extension based on goodwill, compassion or whatever as opposed to with strength unless the rental agreement is otherwise....
Originally Posted by Andrew H
Good luck.. and you will get thru this one..... It is not insurmountable.. just one of the blips that we encounter along the way....