Please help me identify this knife / kanji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zetieum

Reaction score
I scored that on auctions. I would like to know more on it. Thanks a lot!!

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

For one its left handed so its practically garbage :rofl2:

:justkidding:

Ittosai Kagetora? Maybe ask Jon...he may know guys in those circles.

Thx for the tip XooMG. BTW, to my european eye the kanji look beautifully made. Is it the case?

Thx for the tip XooMG. BTW, to my european eye the kanji look beautifully made. Is it the case?
I do not think it is particularly bad or particularly good, but my opinion is not really relevant.

一刀斋景虎 佑
一刀斋 is kanji for Ittosai, which some would recognize as part of Ittosai Kotetsu, for which the kanji is 一刀斋虎辙.
That last kanji, 佑, makes no sense at all. If it were 作, it would have made sense. For example, google Ittosai Kotetsu for images, and you would see 一刀斋虎辙 作.

My guess: an Ittosai wannabe.

一刀斎 景虎 I think makes the ginga 銀香 line.

The calligraphy is sub-par. You should dispose of it immediately.

The calligraphy is sub-par. You should dispose of it immediately.
Sorry, I do not understand your point, certainly my bad english. Are you saying that I should get rid of the knife because the calligraphy is not nice?

It was American sarcasm. He was referring to the viral thread on Kato's calligraphy from a month or two ago.

So far it seems like Ittousai Kagetora Honpo (一刀斎景虎本舗) was a Cutlery shop in Kyoto established circa 2000. But I suspect it no longer exists as I can't find any current info on them.
They sold a number of brands, Ashi Hamono Sakai's Ginga line being one of them. The 一刀斎景虎 mark apparently was their in-house label.

KenHash: Thanks a lot! That is a great info.
Clearly the knife is in carbon steel, but not extremly reactive.

Back