Quantcast
New stone lineup...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New stone lineup...

New stone lineup...

Hey guys... I've been sharpening all along with some OK stones, and I think I'd like to upgrade for a few reasons: 1) bigger stones; 2) better sharpening experience; and 3) faux kasumi finishes! There are some other reasons in there, but I really would like to keep this progression to 3, maybe 4 stones. As I'm a home cook, and I'm still a novice at sharpening (who isn't?), I think more than 3-4 stones (except the DMT plate) would be excessive, and I don't think my wife would put up with any more! Here is what I'm thinking:

Existing stones:
    DMT plate
    700 Bester
    King Combo 1200/8000

What I'm thinking:
    DMT plate
    700 Bester
    1200 Bester
    2K blue Aoto
    5K Gesshin

I don't do a lot of fancy protein cutting, so I think 5-6k really gets me where I need/want to be with sharpening as most of my cutting is pretty normal stuff (onion, garlic, taters, etc.).

I've read great things about Gesshin 5k... I suppose I have three main questions:

1) is the 1200 necessary? Can the Aoto handle the 700 scratches, or do I need the 1200k?

2) If I'm wanting to get a Kasumi style finish (e.g. contrast in a Yoshikane.. or some haze on my Konosuke Chuka, sharpened hamaguri style) this is where the Aoto comes in... is it odd to have this as a mid stone? I'm assuming the Gesshin can't do this, right?

3) Any other recommendations? Again, I'm trying to keep this to a 3-4 stone lineup, nothing crazy!

Thanks everyone!

I'd check with Jon on what type of contrast the Gesshins can give. I have the 2k and it gives decent contrast with mud. It doesn't look like a natural stone kasumi finish, but there is contrast.

Also, I think that the Gesshin 5k could handle the jump from Bester 1.2 ,since lots of people seem to use it right from the Gesshin 1k (which I think Jon says is similar to the Bester). I'm newer to this stuff and my experience with the Bester and the Gesshins is so limited that I don't really want to say too much more.

Lately, for my work edges, I have been using my Chosera 400 and then right to the Gesshin 5k (dry, very light use).

I like my 1200 Bester, and it isn't expensive, but you could skip it if you want.

If you prefer a soaker and a hazy finish, try the Gesshin 4k instead of the 5k.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

the gesshin 4k doesnt leave that smooth of a kasumi finish... the look from the 2k is much better. In all honesty, the look from the synthetic aoto or suehiro rika is better than the gesshin 4k... i just like sharpening on the 4k more

i currently have a blue aoto 2k and bester 1200 just sitting on my workbench. i even took them out of the water because i completely quit using them. i prefer the finish and performance of a coarse to fine jump. i do like the look of the gesshin 4k and although jon is right about the finishes the aoto and rika leave, i believe them to be purely aesthetic. your post indicates that the finish is important to you so maybe you should look into a rika 5k or some type of finishing stone known more for the kasumi finish than the cutting edge.

Well... finish is important, but nearly as much as the performance of the knife after sharpening, and the pure enjoyment of the task of sharpening. My King Combo, while nice to sharpen on I don't find too impressive, and I think the 8k is simply too high.

Jon, on your Gesshin 5k video you posted it looks like the finish has some decent contrast, is that typical?

I'm also looking for my highest grit to be somewhat splash-and-go as I'll be using most often for touching up microbevels, or a quick strop (if the leather fails me!), so I don't think the 4k is what I'm looking for. Citizen, what is your coarse to fine jump? Are you talking 800 to 4k or something? And what about the performance and finish are you enjoying?

the 5k leaves more of a bright finish... not as much contrast as some other stones... shoot me an e-mail, i may have some ideas for you.

for what its worth, i would say that in the majority of cases, soaking stones tend to leave better contrast than splash and go stones... splash and go stones tend to leave brighter finishes overall. The rika still might be a good choice for you though... it doesnt require a long soak (but a short soak is a must) and leaves a nice finish

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    I really enjoyed the look of the Gesshin 5k finish. It's very bright and flashy, and against a darker patina it looked downright spooky.

ive played with lots of stones and i used have progressions like DMT>beston>bester>blue aoto>suehiro rika>arashiyama>kitayama>leather strop>CRO2 Felt and it just didn't feel right in the professional kitchen plus it took way too long. i use only two stones and i have a third if i really want a sharp edge for like my father-in-laws chisels or if i want to put that edge on yanagi.

i have two sets. the first is just the basic beston 500 to the suehiro rika 5k. i use this for all the people at work who want me to sharpen their knives and for some types of steel or knife types i feel this setup might work better. i found that the hiromoto AS takes a better edge than my second setup. for my personal knives, i use jons gesshin 400 and 4k. nothing but my working konosuke gyuto, yanagi, and mioroshi get these stones. these two leave a perfect cutting edge for kitchen use. like i said though, if i feel like i want to get my yanagi razor sharp knowing ive got a lot of fish cutting to do and will have the time to sharpen it again in a day, ill put it to the kitayama.

the finish the rika leaves is a little more clean and polished than the gesshin but as far as performance goes, gesshin all the way. i dont worry much about the finishes though as i would take performance any day of the week plus ive thinned out my konosuke gyuto so its not the prettiest knife in the world, but it has the character i want plus its the best cutter ive ever owned or used.

i should also note that i prefer soaking stones over splashers 100% of the time