Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 240mm Damascus Petty/Suji

Thanks for the pics and video. Just a few comments.

I like the feather pattern. It has a very organic, fine pattern that I like. The handle looks enormous though. I just checked my DT ITK 270 gyuto and that handle at 160mm has almost 2 cm on the ITK. I guess you must have big hands.

Btw, what is the plank cutting board you are using in the video with the live edge?

Thanks for sharing. I hope it sells.

k.

edit: I see someone asked about the cutting board before I posted.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Thanks Mr drinky for the feedback. The handle could be a tad long for some, easy fix to personal preference. I made it that length as I like the visual style, it also balances the knife well. Doesn't get in the way.
    The plank cutting board, is quite literally a plank of apple I have sanded and popped some rubber feet on to use in my kitchen. I needed something bigger and flat at least to use my knives.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbybrocks View Post
    ...The handle could be a tad long for some, easy fix to personal preference...
    I think the ferrule would look really long if you cut a couple of cm off the end... Nice vid though. I wanted to see you finish cutting the potato.

Thats true. I guess if I was going for a shorter handle I could use a brass dowel to balance it out. I like the esthetic of a long handle on these slender blades. But am always open to suggestions.

That expensive time of the month is coming around again and whilst for a damascus knife of this type of pattern grind and quality of finish, I feel the knife is priced well. I'm also aware that as a new guy I need to get some work out there to be properly appreciated. So i'll drop the price a bit.

Price now £330 which is today $510 including shipping and paypal fees.

Needless to say, all my work comes with the peace of mind that if the blade should ever to be found faulty or fail through normal use I will repair or replace it, as long as I am still in business and physically able. Certainly with care a blade should last several lifetimes.
    I will stand by the handle for 5 years against fault in normal use, warpage cracking etc. On a repair or replace basis. And after this can offer a very reasonable re-handling service should it be required. Again as long as I am in business and physically able.
    It may not be efficient to offer free sharpening being in the uk. But if postage is covered by the owner I will always restore an edge on the knife if required.
    I include documentation to this effect with all my knives.

Damn... That pattern looks sick. I like the handle a lot dude, I wouldn't change a thing on it. If I had the cash I would buy it no prob. But! I do suggest you do a pass around or something so that people get to know your work on a more personal level.

Just as another side note... I think the knife is a bit thick for a petty/suji. I would thin it out a bit and maybe make it a bit pointier kinda like the kiritsukeish sujis. They look more dynamic IMO.

Thanks memorael and thanks for the feedback. Its only got the thickness really on the spine over the heel, for stability. There is allot of taper on there , almost 2 mm so i think it has a good balance of slice/stability and compound bevel for food release, as it is a longer petty. Most importantly it is very thin behind the edge. I have reshaped the tip already a bit to make it a tad pointier. But could do this even more making the tip more slender, would make the tip even thinner too. I have a pass-around under way at the moment. Should reach Johnny chance any day now, its a 300mm Suji, so keep an eye on that. It seems some people like a true laser in a knife, others like a balance of stability and thinness with some convexity. So I think it will be perfect for someone. I'm going to do some more on the tip today though as i was thinking it could go further myself.

Not to put to finer point on it.... but I put a finer point on it. Making it onion tastic.

Bump please for this lovely unique patterned knife. Someone must surely have a home for it. I'll get the price under 500 u.s. to see if it tips the balance. But i'm sure you all appreciate the hours that go into a piece like this.

So $490 dollars