Tanaka KU Gyuto Handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbusby1

Reaction score
Just finished the handle for my Tanaka KU 240 handle-less from K&S last batch. Please share the handles you put on yours!

Also gotta say that I'm pretty bummed about how thick it is behind the edge. Haven't used it yet but looks like it's gonna need a good deal of thinning :eyebrow:

Osage orange/pine/cherry

That is a fantastic looking handle. Love the taper and the knife butt. Very neutral colors keeping the traditional look. Should do a WIP. ;)

Just finished the handle for my Tanaka KU 240 handle-less from K&S last batch. Please share the handles you put on yours!

Also gotta say that I'm pretty bummed about how thick it is behind the edge. Haven't used it yet but looks like it's gonna need a good deal of thinning :eyebrow:

Osage orange/pine/cherry

Oh wow [emoji7]

Osage orange/pine/cherry

Much nicer than mine...I just re-purposed a burnt chestnut from my Kochi. As to the thinning part, I agree that they have a bit of steel than can be removed but feel like it's a great starting point...my blue 2 damascus also benefited from a good thinning but from memory it was a rather easy job...it was rather easy to thin without changing the geometry and I didn't really lose any of the food release when I did thin it. I am hoping this style turns out to be more or less the same. IMO the cost of these reflects the fact that not a lot of finish work is done on them (including thinning) but again, the geometry that you are given as a starting point makes for great potential. I wound up taking off a bit of the easier to remove ku and really like that finish even more than the original...think it will look pretty cool when you get down to the nashiji looking finish.

What stone did you use to thin your blue2 damascus? I want to try that myself.

What stone did you use to thin your blue2 damascus? I want to try that myself.

It's been a bit but if I recall I was using just a 220 pink stone that I got from EE...I believe the same stone to be available thru many vendors. You will be very happy with the performance upgrade...refinishing mine sent me to the hospital for stitches:curse:

Back