Looking for ideas for new suji or longer line knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhorn

Reaction score
What country are you in?

New York
USA

KNIFE TYPE

What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Slicer or long petty/line knife

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

No preference
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240 or 270

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No but stain resistant is a plus in this case

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I would like to keep it under 400 but seeing as this is will be heavily used professionally I can see the point in a larger investment.

KNIFE USE

Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Professionally, most likely 6 days a week. Roughly 100-120 covers a night. 80% of our proteins will be cooked on the bone to order and then deboned and portioned/sliced.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Please look at previous question.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

I have a great Sakai Takayuki blue #2 suji in 270mm. The retention will not stand up this and over the years it has been whittled down considerably with frequent sharpenings so I feel it is time for a new one anyway. I have a good set of boning knives should I need to reach for something in a heavy duty situation. I also have some 210mm knives that could come in handy but I definitely prefer a longer knife to get nice slices.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/2023-Kitchen-Knife-Glossary#grip"]LINK for the common types of grips.)

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/2023-Kitchen-Knife-Glossary#cuttingmotion]LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
This will be slicing.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

I would just really like a knife that walks the sweet spot of ease of sharpening versus edge retention. I am a competent sharpener but this will be higher volume than what I am used to. This knife may also be put through some paces for prep, or that may be my old carbon suji's' job.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Stain resistance would be a plus but I am disciplined and keep my knives clean as best as I can. This is fine dining so cleanliness if your station and tools/knives is held in high regard. I will also be right next to chef's station so I cannot be slicing with some nasty rusty knife.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

I think the budget should include decent fit and finish but I have and can do it myself.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

I don't want a knife that is super flexible. I don't think a super thick at the spine suji is limiting as long as the taper is appropriate.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

High, but steels like PM take more work sharpening as well so I am more in favor of a balance. I have little experience with V2, Blue 1, and/or whatever Shigefusa knives use but I think a well heat treated aogami super might be what I am looking for based on my masakage koishi honesuki.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Some wood mostly synthetic(sanituff/hi-soft)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

I use shapton pro stones. I am happy with them but I am definitely open to upgrade suggestions, although I may hold off on purchase until these wear down a bit more.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Been in fine dining tasting-menu restaurants for a few years. I have changed my line knife rotations depending on what's on the menu. When I broke poached or roasted birds to order I had a honesuki and a suji. When it was ribeye I had a wicked sharp suji, when I had to cut through crispy duck skin and sternum it was a suji and a very sturdy Ealy line knife. My suji has always been my Sakai Takayuki 270mm in blue #2. I have moved now and I am taking a new job where I will be dealing with a larger variety of proteins in a somewhat tighter space. I need something with decent length that hits the sweet spot between ease of sharpening and edge retention. I can do two knives if I have to but would prefer one that is on the longer side for good slicing. Bonus points for a more stain resistant steel.

I like a 240 sushi for your application. Mine is a Tad Inox but while edge retention is good it is not as critical for me. Sound like a stainless clad carbon would meet both your "clean" and your retention requirements.

What about the Del line knife would not work for you?

It's only 210mm and I just like something a bit longer. I've never used a 240 suji but I think you are right. I will definitely start looking that direction, but does anyone have any outright recommendations in terms of edge retention. How is retention on the Itinomonn and Toyama knives?

I think both Toyama and itinomonn sujihikis come only in 270 size. If that length feels ok for you how about this?http://cleancut.se/butik/knivserier/kurosaki-2-serier/kurosaki-r2/sujihiki2015-01-29-12-00-22-detail

It's R2 PM steel with very good edge retention and shouldn't be too bad to sharpen either with high quality F&F all around. I personally really like that hammered pattern, but may not be to everyones taste.

There's an aogami super version too with kurouchi ss cladding, but it seems to be oos.

Heiji is an interesting option and I have yet to use one of these. A definite contender. A bit pricey but if it's worth it I'm sure I can make it happen. What is the geometry like on a Heiji suji?

I am a fan of r2 for sure so that will definitely have to go into consideration. Thanks for all the recommendations please keep them coming?

Heiji is an interesting option and I have yet to use one of these. A definite contender. A bit pricey but if it's worth it I'm sure I can make it happen. What is the geometry like on a Heiji suji?

I am a fan of r2 for sure so that will definitely have to go into consideration. Thanks for all the recommendations please keep them coming?

I don't have experience with a heiji suji, but I have used the same steel and it is very impressive. Similar to a good blue super but better and stain resistant. His knives are finished a little rough but nothing a little sand paper cant round out quickly, and the more you work on a knife the more it becomes a part of you, ya know?

i love my heiji carbon suji i asked for 260 length but it came out more like 280, would not use it on the line (it's huge and will rust easy) but semi-stainless should be fine and you can order from him directly any length you want 225mm should be good for a line knife (4month wait however). it is a wide bevel grind with sharp shoulders which pushes food away as you slice. the profile is not ideal though, it's a bit too flat so you're mostly doing a horizontal push/pull instead of a pendulum slicing motion.

Back