Long time looking first time posting

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Berger

Reaction score
Hello

My name is Jeff Berger and I just wanted to say hi.

I've been looking at this site on and off for about a year now - ever since last years Ashokan Knife Seminar. Dave Martell attended and talked about what makes a good kitchen knife and it really got me interested in making something good, so I've been following along on this forum and have really learned a lot about what a good kitchen knife looks and feels like.

I've been making blades on and off for about 10 years now, but I have not had a proper shop until recently so I hope to be making some knives and getting some feedback (hopefully) on them soon.

I'm a theoretical high energy particle physicist by day, I work on calculations pertaining to the collisions in atom smashers (such as the new massive machine called the Large Hadron Collider, or LHC in Europe). I've been studying under a professor at Penn State (best way to think of a grad program is an apprenticeship program, I'm an apprentice physicist!). I have a year left until I get my PhD in it and then I'm not quite sure what I am gonna do - but something interesting should come along!

Well that's all about me - hope to be getting to know some of you

-Jeff

Also a quick practical question

I can't figure out how to PM, is there a restriction on new members to PM or can I just not find the button?

Thanks again

-Jeff

AFAIK the restriction was something like two posts. Does it work now?

What's with all the smart people being into knives?

Rottman : Thanks it does now!

Salty : Knives are so cooolll. Thanks for the smart title but I do plenty of dumb things too so I dunno how deserving I am, fancy job title tho yea?

Welcome welcome! Just remember not to send knives flying around at high speed ;)

Welcome Jeff! Can't wait to see what kind of innovative steel treatments you are able to come up with in a particle accelerator! :cool2:

What's with all the smart people being into knives?
Seems like knives cut across not just all segments of society but all levels of brain power as well. Everybody has to eat :hungry:

Plus all guys like to have some stuff the women won't want to take/ mess with; knives are just a less expensive hobby then cars and motorcycles :EDance2:

Welcome Jeff! I am sensing some new possiblities to test "sharpness"..atom splitting sharp.

Welcome Jeff! I am sensing some new possiblities to test "sharpness"..atom splitting sharp.

If that happens, I don't think we'll get confirmation of it from Jeff. He'll be :shocked3:.

Welcome Jeff!

:ntmy:

Welcome, Mr. Berger. Fancypants title you got there.

Why did Copernicus cross the road?
He didn't have to, he was already there. :happy2:

My housemate works in the lasers lab and I've discussed using laser interferometry to precisely measure how thick an edge is - we haven't worked up a scheme yet but the thought is there. I'd like to get the setup such that someone could build it with some machining knowledge and a laser pointer but don't hold your breath for schematics for a while!

Thanks for all the welcomes guys

What PhD student has enough money for a workshop? One where he can make kitchen knives no less.

Welcome aboard!

Ok, Apprentice Physicist, what's up with the speed of light being surpassed?

Speed of Light

k.

Things like this happen occasionally but noone nessisarily takes it seriously. For about twenty years when they measured the mass of these objects (the particles in question are called neutrinos) they found that the (mass^2) value was negative. The error bars made it reasonable to say it is basically zero and that is what was reported by if you look at it they basically had negative mass^2. This is obviously ridiculous as mass has to be a positive value. Eventually they found that there were some errors with the detectors and the models and now the mass is positive and that is generally accepted as true.

It is quite possible that this is a similar thing, they haven't openly said they believe to have found something which surpasses the speed of light. They have been careful to say they have measured it and are asking the rest of the world to scrutinize the result for where the discrepancy lies. Safe money is definitely on the speed of light still being the fastest you can go as there is an overwhelming amount of evidence that says this is true from the last 90 years of physics. Crazy money is of course on the fact that a 6.1 sigma result is massive and if this is real then everything in the last century has been fundamentally flawed and all the textbooks get to be rewritten.

Noone in the scientific community yet believes that we have found a way to break the speed of light though - but it does make a good headline.

That a good explanation? (btw gogol is awesome, nice avatar)

-Jeff

Jeff,
Welcome. I don't know if we were introduced, but I did the mokume lecture and demo at last years ashokan. Did you make it this year?
If you want someone to bounce ideas off of as far as the kitchen knives go, well I have learned a lot in the last year, and I would be happy to talk shop with you.
I love physics too, I just didn't get enough math in for the heavy stuff.
Thanks,
Del

Things like this happen occasionally but noone nessisarily takes it seriously. For about twenty years when they measured the mass of these objects (the particles in question are called neutrinos) they found that the (mass^2) value was negative. The error bars made it reasonable to say it is basically zero and that is what was reported by if you look at it they basically had negative mass^2. This is obviously ridiculous as mass has to be a positive value. Eventually they found that there were some errors with the detectors and the models and now the mass is positive and that is generally accepted as true.

It is quite possible that this is a similar thing, they haven't openly said they believe to have found something which surpasses the speed of light. They have been careful to say they have measured it and are asking the rest of the world to scrutinize the result for where the discrepancy lies. Safe money is definitely on the speed of light still being the fastest you can go as there is an overwhelming amount of evidence that says this is true from the last 90 years of physics. Crazy money is of course on the fact that a 6.1 sigma result is massive and if this is real then everything in the last century has been fundamentally flawed and all the textbooks get to be rewritten.

Noone in the scientific community yet believes that we have found a way to break the speed of light though - but it does make a good headline.
-Jeff

Surely If I have my warp engine engaged to the maximum of 8.9 I will traveling faster then the speed of light:rofl:........Welcome

Jeff,
Welcome. I don't know if we were introduced, but I did the mokume lecture and demo at last years ashokan. Did you make it this year?
If you want someone to bounce ideas off of as far as the kitchen knives go, well I have learned a lot in the last year, and I would be happy to talk shop with you.
I love physics too, I just didn't get enough math in for the heavy stuff.
Thanks,
Del

Yeah I've been going to ashokan for the last 7 years or so! I remember your mokume demonstration the year before and have been making some myself with the same method (I showed up last year with a lightning-spear which I'm not sure if you saw).

I talked to you a bunch this last weekend, the first night about what temp to put my copper-nickel silver mokume at, the next day at open forge I asked if you would show my two friends some forging techniques. I also brought my new stainless knife I made over to you during the knife show on the last day (thanks for the feedback!) and you told me to go onto kitchen knife forums and look at the amature sales forum that Dave just made - so it is your fault I'm here! Didn't remember me at all? I'm hurt Delbert...

I'm sure I'll have some questions for you eventually - but I've found learning has to come in cycles, talk to people enough and you can only learn more by doing.

Thanks for the pointers and techniques you (forgot that you) gave me :)

-Jeff

Wow, you have the most advanced scientific title in the modern world, been to Ashokan for 7 years running, and you came here by way of Del? Aren't you just a KKF Blueblood. :razz:

Jeff,
Sorry, I sometimes have trouble putting names to faces and I guess I really screwed the pooch here. You can blame my amnesia on lack of sleep friday night ;)
Keep me updated on your progress and let me know how those 2 do on that blade. If I had known you were that heavily into phyics I would have had you up all night with me on friday while I was forging the bloom of steel. That definately would have helped keep me awake(not sure it would have helped in the outcome though)
Thanks,
Del

Welcome Jeff!

Perhaps we can sort out using Bose–Einstein condensate to quench our forgings?

Great to have you here.

Latest posts

Back