Saya Nomi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDalman

Unsupportive Member
Reaction score
I'm going to make a couple for myself, probably 9 and 15 mm. convex backside for a slightly curved edge, about 40 cm long and in monosteel uhb20c 3,5 mm thickness, hardening them all up to the handle.. Looking around these are fairly pricey. Is there interest I make a couple of extra and put in the shop? With or without :bat:?

Also I can't say a price in advance, but what I can do is time myself making them and price from that :)

I'd definitely be interested, though price is key when it comes to some of these things, and don't know I could fully commit without knowing the price.

No need to commit, just intended as a "feeler" :)

The ones I saw was 125-140 eur. I'd guess I can make them for alot less, but if I give a ballpark there's a risk for disappointment if they end up taking me more time.

Great i'll make a small "batch" then. I'll make them with handles and thinking to try make some simple burnt in edge guard.

This basically means that I am officially adding saya making to my already very long list of things I plan to try and just can not find the time to do so :)

It seems to me there's also a variant with hollowed ura. That would be more straightforward sharpening me thinks, at the same time the convex backside as sold on fine-tools and japanwoodworker could make for better precision. Thoughts on which is better?

To be honest I do not know. Looking at the one on JNS it is hollow too. But how does that affect the tool (shape of the edge) once it moves backwards a new mm?

The hollow ura style is flattened backwards as you sharpen, like a regular chisel :)

I would love to purchase one, let me how and when to give you my money :) your two knives (early set, one was an auction) are doing great btw

I would love to purchase one, let me how and when to give you my money :) your two knives (early set, one was an auction) are doing great btw

Cool! I'm so happy about many returning customers! 👍👍👍

First I will make them... If they turn out well when they're done I'll put them in the store.

After some talk with Anton I'm going to make them with hollow ura for ease of sharpening 👍

I'm game. Reindeer ferrule is a must for me lol. If you even get bored from knives and want to try something new I'd kill for moribashi in damascus.

Excellent. I am glad you are expanding your product portfolio. I guess my next problem will be where to get wood for saya and how on earth am I going to cut it into such a thin pieces :)

I'm game. Reindeer ferrule is a must for me lol. If you even get bored from knives and want to try something new I'd kill for moribashi in damascus.

Haha I'm making them in onepiece handles I think... And a full 120 reindeer superquality roll would up the price 200 sek. I'm leaning towards uaing some simpler woods, considering birch, cherry, ash, maybe some plum.

Simple wood is the way to go IMO. From those you mention I would pick cherry or plum as they are harder. Even though this chisel will not be used with a mallet, the handle should probably rather be on the tougher side.

Simple wood is the way to go IMO. From those you mention I would pick cherry or plum as they are harder. Even though this chisel will not be used with a mallet, the handle should probably rather be on the tougher side.

Birch is funny though. The straight grain I have is relatively soft, the masur is overall hard, but the curly birch is very hard and fine grained actually. The masur and curly are probably both harder than the cherry. Plum is easily hardest, but will probably not play well with burn-fitting.

I always though that 'curly' and 'masur' birch is the same thing, just different name for it. Would you please explain the difference?

Masur is a genetic thingy I believe, and curly is due to growth. Can be combined I believe...

I'd be interested as well... I'm getting the saya bug.

Ok they're added to the store. Thanks for the interest, hopefully they will be enough to cover demand.

Robin, I am about to order one or two. My question is - I suppose most work will be done with the larger one. Do I need the smaller one too? Is it used around the corners/tip or when the wood is too hard for the wider one?

Thank you

Back