• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Time to thin the Herd

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bprescot

Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, no use putting it off ... It's time to thin the herd. Pics will follow, but if I don't post this now, and instead wait to take pics, I'm afraid I'll change my mind. All prices include shipping, but due to an unfortunate incident I'm unable to do Paypal for payment. Plenty of options out there and I'm more than happy to work with you on an individual basis to figure it out. International shipping would need to pay for shipping.

1: Takeda Cleaver 210 x 90: $425

I really enjoy using this knife, but ever since I messed my arm up, sharpening cleavers is always a little challenging. I also don't have a good, convenient storage solution for cleavers. The result? I can never bring myself to risk sharpening this beauty and due to lack of storage solutions, she spends all her time in the drawer... I'm morally opposed to drawer queens no matter how much I like them and no matter how much I think I'll regret seeing them go. You don't see these guys come on the market all that often, so snap it up before someone else does. Or before I change my mind!

2: Folwer Gyuto 250mm W2 Gyuto: $330

This is one of Stephan's grinder sale knives. I think it might have one of the most stunning handles I've ever seen. I've used it a few times, and liked it, but don't think it's quite my style. That, and I also just got a Del, Dave, and am on the list for a Marko, so I REALLY need to thin the herd. If you've been tempted to get a Fowler, this is your chance! Stunning handle with no wait at a pretty solid discount! Jump on it while you're able.

3: Konosuke 330mm Fuguhiki in White 1 w/ saya: $330

I picked this up barely used from ... somewhere (oh, boy. Is it a bad sign when you can't remember where your knives come from?) ... and haven't used it ONCE. Beautiful blade, but I'm a home chef. Where in the frack would I get reasonably priced fugu? Heck, ANY fugu? Heck ANY AFFORDABLE SASHIMI GRADE FISH?!?! This was an impulse buy of the highest order, and yet I'm kinda sad to see this one go. Originally this was a special order straight from Konosuke who, I'm told, don't often do White 1, and then mirror polished. Anyway, it's something like a $500+ knife, essentially new, at a stupidly good price.

4: Tadatsuna 240mm Inox Gyuto: $210

This guy just got back from a cleanup and sharpening session with Dave who managed to pretty much get rid of all sharpening marks and everything. When I opened it I swore he sent me a new knife just to mess with my brain! Anyway, you all know what these guys are, so I won't bore you with details, but this guy is a stupidly thin laser that dices onions by glancing at them hard. Oh, and brand new they go for $275 + Shipping

5: Hiromoto AS 300mm Wa-Gyuto w/ saya: $180

Once again, I can't believe I'm selling this guy. I got this off of a forum member who went through GREAT pains to thin it and did an outstanding job. This is just an all around great knife right now. But I don't need a 300mm gyuto so it only gets used for ... well ... nothing. For sh!ts and giggles mostly, I suppose. The other 99.9% of the time it sits next to the Takeda in the drawer... Anyway, it's not a huge price discount off of the brand new one's, but considering the work that's gone into it to tune the performance, I think this is a steal. Oh, and if the original owner is out there 1.) I'm sorry I forgot and can't find who you are and 2) Contact me as I remember we talked about you getting right of first refusal on a buy back!

6: Suisin 210mm wa-petty INOX: $140

This is the exact same knife that I just picked up from Bishamon. Played with it a bit, but I think I'll try a shorter carter instead. This just didn't have enough kunckle clearance for what I wanted it to do. Selling it for what I bought it for.

There might be a few additions to this list at a later date, but for now I think this is a good start. I'm off to go try to get some decent pics.

Thanks for looking!
Ben

That Fowler will go quickly, at least it should.

So people smarter than I (thanks John!) have pointed out that a number of these knives already have pics, that I can just link to while I'm taking new ones!

Here's the Fowler:
gyuto-finished-2.jpg

The Petty:
IMG_3529.jpg

An old pic of the Takeda the previous owner had sent me:
DSC_2807.JPG

And the rest I'll have to take new ones :(

Haha. Yep. Sorry. Oh, and Petty is pending at the moment with a small queue of people behind.

FRACK! So I used my wife's camera to take some shots. Think we got some pretty good ones. Our place is pretty dark so we brought in extra lamps and everything. Except her camera doesn't use a USB to connect to the computer. It's like it has it's own special cable. We've moved apartments every year for the last three years. God only knows where the heck that thing is. So I'm gonna have to get batteries for my camera and do this crap all over again tomorrow.

I can NOT believe some of you guys do this photo thing for fun. I friggin' HATE CAMERAS!!! :end of rant:

FRACK! So I used my wife's camera to take some shots. Think we got some pretty good ones. Our place is pretty dark so we brought in extra lamps and everything. Except her camera doesn't use a USB to connect to the computer. It's like it has it's own special cable. We've moved apartments every year for the last three years. God only knows where the heck that thing is. So I'm gonna have to get batteries for my camera and do this crap all over again tomorrow.

I can NOT believe some of you guys do this photo thing for fun. I friggin' HATE CAMERAS!!! :end of rant:
whats the model of the camera?

is there an sd card that you can put into the pc?? thats how i have to do it because like you ive lost the connector

I got a multi input dongle when I was in Japan so I could hook whatever camera into whatever computer since I forgot my cord during the trip. It takes 4 different kinds of cards and spits them out a USB cable.

Yeah, that's pretty much the plan. I was going to swing by Radio Shack on the way home and pick up an external SD card reader. One of those multi-format ones since our two cameras use different cards. This one is called like a cybershot or something stupid like that.

Ohhh... that's a Sony, I think. The camera might be using a Sony MemoryStick, in which case not every multi-card reader has a slot for it. Not the supersmall ones anyways.

:bashhead: *sigh* Well I'm going to try anyway and hope. The worst part of selling knives? Having to deal with cameras.

Use some of the petty money to buy a new camera...they're so damn cheap! The card reader is going to cost you a third of what a new camera would cost.

Yeah, it's probably time... Weird that I will think of a $200 knife as a good buy, but a $100+ camera feels extravagant.

Gave up on the new card reader and just took them all over again. Whomever said something about this SD card being unique, you were right. The Card Reader gets returned today. Anyway, here are the long awaited photos.

Tadatsuna:
Tad_1.jpg

Tad_2.jpg

Tad_3.jpg

Tad_Choil.jpg

Hiro AS 300mm
Hiro_300_1.jpg

Hiro_300_2.jpg

Hiro_300_Choil.jpg

Takeda Cleaver
Takeda_1.jpg

Takeda_2.jpg

Takeda_Choil.jpg

Fowler

Fowler_1.jpg

Fowler_3.jpg

Konosuke

Konosuke_1.jpg

Konosuke_2.jpg

Konosuke_Mirror%252520Mirror.jpg

Konosuke_Patina_Back.jpg

ya, that camera seems like a good one. i had the same problem you were having til i figured out the SD thing. those card readers are junk anyway imo.

that tad looks really nice. hmmmm......

Hard to believe that Tadatsuna is still available. Not too many months ago that wouldn't have lasted 30 seconds. I wish I didn't have a glut of knives this size, it would be a great one to have around.

Hard to believe that Tadatsuna is still available. Not too many months ago that wouldn't have lasted 30 seconds. I wish I didn't have a glut of knives this size, it would be a great one to have around.

+1

All bias aside, it's a super nice knife. Just glides through anything and everything, especially with Dave's new edge. I'm kind surprised it and the Takeda are still around.

Tad Sold! Still available are the Hiro AS, Konosuke, and, amazingly, the Takeda.

Tell you what, time for a slight and single price drop.

Takeda: $400
Konosuke: $310
Hiro AS: $175

Thanks for looking!
Ben

Konosuke now sold! So who wants the Takeda and Hiro? Come on guys, you know you want 'em :thumbsup:

48-Hour Takeda Price: $375 Shipped

That's right folks! I really want to get this wrapped up, so I'm doing a 48-hour Takeda sale. This knife will be on sale for the next 48 hours ONLY and at a reduced price.
:bliss:

But after 48 hours, I'm keeping it for myself!! :razz:

The Hiro, however, I'm just flat out keeping for myself. Sorry! PM me if you really really had your heart set on it.

Thanks for looking!
Ben

If I didn't already have 2 Takeda cleavers.... Man, how come this knife is still sitting waiting for a taker?

Edit: OK, posting from my phone is really really aggravating.

Less than 24 hours left, folks. After 1PM EST Sunday, this one's going back into the proverbial vault!

Latest posts

Back