Who is the best at what steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atrain316

Reaction score
So from my understanding there are different makers who work with different steels. So who would you say is best with about every kind of steel and why? I feel like this could potentially help a lot of people if some wiser people will share their opinion.

I think this question is kind of misguided. It's like asking for a consensus opinion on who cooks the best steak in the world.

I'm guessing the information overflow has got your head spinning? :)
...And I mean that in a good way. It'll take quite some time for all that knowledge to settle down and in the mean while...

There's so many pitfalls with that idea. It would be a mile long list. it's impossible rank because there's no factual way to measure it. It's all very subjective because people like different attributes. Unlike popular belief the steel is sometimes the least important factor.

For instance: If you have some of that lovely Takamura R2 steel, but everything else or even one thing would be severely off, the great steel can't rescue it beeing a bad knife.

On the other hand if you have an ok steel with exceptional profile, goemetry, balance and f&f, you'll have a well performing knife, but it won't have the edge retention, cutting feel or sharpening properties of the superior steel.

All this will probably make your head spin even a little faster and that's why there's this little thing called "which knife should I buy" questionnaire to sort all that out. In the beginning just trust the guys here. They know their stuff. Then buy a knife or two. All that will guide you to learn what you (and your lady) really like and give you time to let all that info to settle down.

I'm guessing the information overflow has got your head spinning? :)
...And I mean that in a good way. It'll take quite some time for all that knowledge to settle down and in the mean while...

There's so many pitfalls with that idea. It would be a mile long list. it's impossible rank because there's no factual way to measure it. It's all very subjective because people like different attributes. Unlike popular belief the steel is sometimes the least important factor.

For instance: If you have some of that lovely Takamura R2 steel, but everything else or even one thing would be severely off, the great steel can't rescue it beeing a bad knife.

On the other hand if you have an ok steel with exceptional profile, goemetry, balance and f&f, you'll have a well performing knife, but it won't have the edge retention, cutting feel or sharpening properties of the superior steel.

All this will probably make your head spin even a little faster and that's why there's this little thing called "which knife should I buy" questionnaire to sort all that out. In the beginning just trust the guys here. They know their stuff. Then buy a knife or two. All that will guide you to learn what you (and your lady) really like and give you time to let all that info to settle down.

+1

Oh absolutely I understand it's a ton of info but I was just sort of wondering what everyone's favorites are. Just kind of if money was no object what would you want or who would you want to make it

Technically, there is always one valid set of information a poll establishes:

What the OPINION of a the vocal members of a certain group on a certain topic is.

Such information is of course valid fact - about opinion, not necessarily physical reality - and has value.

Under that caveat, I'd say why not start a list :)

One oft-mentioned opinion is that Takamura are among the best in SG-2 and probably also VG10.

Lots of makers have preferred steels, which can logically be assumed to be the steel they are best at working with (e.g. Hide - blue #1, shig - spicy Swedish). Whether or not you like it is another question.

Black Steel is the anomaly as it is too mysterious for any mortal smith to comprehend, let alone master.

It's like saying who's the best artist painting with which color and why.

I still think it's a fair question. And here is my opinion.
White 1: Teruyasu Fujiwaru
White 2: Kato
Blue 2: Keijiro Doi
R2: Takamura
Swedish Spicy: Shigefusa

It's like saying who's the best artist painting with which color and why.

Not valid, colours are all created equal but steel heat treat is different for each steel. If a smith nails the treat in one steel that doesn't mean he nails it in all types. Painters are under no such constraints.

Sure, I'll play. Why the heck not?

VG10: Tanaka, Takamura
B2: Tanaka, Shiro Kamo
R2: Takamura, Shiro Kamo

Painting is what you like personally. Tastes are all over the place. I got inspired to paint from a palette knife work done in the 1960's. The Artist had passed away. I like the impressionistic loose style. Use a painting knife only no brush.

Since I had no art training I took a class at the art academy. The teacher said knives are for mixing paint on the palette not for putting paint on the canvas. After that started looking for a knife painter & was able to find one. One style is not better than another It's just what I liked.

For the much discounted VG-10
Kurosaki Megumi
Tanaka

I will tell you this had I been smarter and joined the forum sooner I probally wouldn't of got the miyabi it is already starting to chip with the vg10 steel but this will not allow me to make a bad decision in the future

A VG10 knife from Takamura or Tanaka can still chip...that particular steel is not the most chip resistant.

Though not my favorite, I think Miyabi are still solid knives.

I will tell you this had I been smarter and joined the forum sooner I probally wouldn't of got the miyabi it is already starting to chip with the vg10 steel but this will not allow me to make a bad decision in the future

Don't know about your specific knife but many knives don't come with the best steel on the oob edge due to whatever was done while finishing the blade...a good sharpening or two to get to 'good' steel should fix it.

The steel itself (vg-10) is good and I would imagine that a Miyabi would have decent ht...only issue you may find is that there are other Japanese stainless that are a bit easier to deburr.

Don't know about your specific knife but many knives don't come with the best steel on the oob edge due to whatever was done while finishing the blade...a good sharpening or two to get to 'good' steel should fix it.

Good point and agree. Forgot to mention that, since it's pretty much second nature that I'll put on a new edge on a knife or at the very least do a thorough session on my higher grit stones before using a knife. Out of the box edges are almost never a good representation of what a knife is capable of.

rami_m I can't paint my way out of a wet paper bag, but aren't "classic" artist paints made from real pigments (as opposed to some petrochemical witches brew), sometimes by the painter themselves, probably needing some skill in handling each?

So is r2 less chippy then vg10

VG-10 isn't chippy when done right, in my experience. Unfortunately, the common examples most people are familiar with are executed very poorly, so it has gained a stigma over the years in the kitchen knife world. In the folding and outdoor knife world, where some companies are doing good things with it, it actually has a pretty good reputation. Technically speaking, SG-2/R2 is actually a less tough (But more wear resistant) steel assuming that both it and VG-10 are ht'd correctly. That's a big if, though, depending upon who is working with it. Well done SG-2/R2 could be tougher than poorly done VG-10.

- Steampunk

Not valid, colours are all created equal but steel heat treat is different for each steel. If a smith nails the treat in one steel that doesn't mean he nails it in all types. Painters are under no such constraints.

That would be true if artists painted only in primary colours.

Back