Quantcast
Crazy sharp - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy sharp

Quote Originally Posted by memorael View Post
    I think this is why the Japanese like having a 30 or 45 degree in reference to the stone.
    It might be that too, but the 45 degree slant helps prevent wobble. Your arm isn't meant to extend in and out on a flat plane in a straight line, and doesn't want to stay flat. It will be easier to maintain an angle if you hold the handle in a position flowing from your hand naturally.

I have never truly understood the three finger test and frankly it scares the sheet out of me, so I can't comment on that part.
    it sounds scary, but it's simple. if you grip the edge lightly (very lightly) with three fingers around the blade and move your hand slightly in relation to the edge, it should stick.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    it sounds scary, but it's simple. if you grip the edge lightly (very lightly) with three fingers around the blade and move your hand slightly in relation to the edge, it should stick.
    It's the whole sticking part that worries me... I have done the test about two times and I pretty much dislike the feeling in fact just thinking about it makes my skin do that hair popping up thing. Funny for a guy that likes getting his knives ultra sharp.

you aren't supposed to like the feeling.

It's the whole sticking part that worries me... I have done the test about two times and I pretty much dislike the feeling in fact just thinking about it makes my skin do that hair popping up thing. Funny for a guy that likes getting his knives ultra sharp.
    That is the principle of the three finger test. If you are comfortable sliding your fingers along the edge, your knife has failed the test.
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

So I guess I pass the test all the time then??? I would love to see a video of this done properly if anyone has a camera around and is willing to do a fail/pass video.

One thing I've noticed with the three finger test (which I use ALL the time), is that the more often you do it, the less scared you become. This, of course allows you to do the test more properly, but it can also lead to slicing a couple layers into the tips of your fingers. I've noticed lately, when I do it, when I'm all finished up, I have very fine lines cut into my fingers, but not anywhere deep enough to draw blood.
    Basically, just pay attention to what you're doing and you'll be fine, as long as you you don't mind the odd mark.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

stropping on dry leather

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    I will agree that adding a finishing strop was the single greatest improvement for me too. I use CrO on Balsa. I don't think it really matters what it is you use, obviously Carter seems to get his knives kind of sharp using just newspaper, just so long as one picks a medium and strops on it I think it adds benefit.
    I got a new leather piece ( horse hide) nad did some stropping. it was not as "bitey" as it should.. I oiled it with mineral oil ( 3 times) and it does seem to give a better edge. My old leather Barber strop is about 20 years old. picked it up somewhere in New York choked and now with red color oxides adn will be cleaning it up soon as it is too smooth for my liking. Only using the reverse side for deburringwhen on lower grits. Will experiment with teh linen backing when I can find it....

Rgds
    DL

With the Three-Finger-Test, how do you know that you're not feeling a wire? Also, I remember a while ago, Dave suggesting that the TFT doesn't work with very refined 'slick' edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    With the Three-Finger-Test, how do you know that you're not feeling a wire? Also, I remember a while ago, Dave suggesting that the TFT doesn't work with very refined 'slick' edges.

If you use chromium oxide on a strop you'll likely fail the 3-finger test. If you wobble at all on high grit stones (especially Shaptons) you'll fail the 3-finger test.

Yup a wire edge always passes the 3-finger test.

+ Reply to Thread