sliced sandwich bread. do you eat the heels?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a heel? The end piece with the crust?

Toast dry and use as breadcrumbs. Or if relatively fresh, just butter it up.

I slice as I go but truly enjoy getting to the heel. I like it toasted and usually alternate between cream cheese, peanut butter, jam or just good butter.

i make a big-mack like peanut butter sandwich with it in the center, extra peanut butter....yumm

It's usually fine, but whenever it comes to having two heels from the end of one package of bread to the start of a new package, it's a sad day. That being said, toasting them is just fine.

The only bread I use for sandwiches is my own, and the heels get fought over. Don't touch store bought white bread.

But, it is funny, with homemade bread, people fight to get the crust. On Storebought bread, you get rid of the crust.

Didn't even realise it was called a heel till this thread - always used the Polish word for it. Loved them all my life - store bought or home-made. My sister and I fought over them as children. Perhaps this is why I love rolls - more crust per gram.

If it's decently thick, the heel/end slice is fine for grilled cheese, with the crust facing the filling inside.

Nope, not for me, even toasted. Now, a good sour dough or French bread, the end is, ironically, my favorite part.

Back