Quantcast
Yanagi Maker
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yanagi Maker

Yanagi Maker

hey all,

just had my wife steal this from her boss so we could sharpen/de-rust it for him for his coming birthday. this knife is no prize as it wasn't cared for as well as it should have been. there is some rust, the handle looks like it was a d shape at one time based on the furrle and it also looks like someone put it to a grinder and made a new edge. it looks like its going to take some work. im not even sure if i can do it. its going to be hell on my stones and i just hope the back is concave for correct sharpening.

it would be great if anyone knew recognized the kanji so i could find out the maker.

thanks in advance

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Ahhhh! Look at that edge

ya, as a bonus i just cut the dickens out of my index finger trying to grind the edges together with a dmt. its going to be hours of work and on top of that my finger is probably infected lol

DOH

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    ya, as a bonus i just cut the dickens out of my index finger trying to grind the edges together with a dmt. its going to be hours of work and on top of that my finger is probably infected lol

DOH
    Did you cut your finger on the DMT? I find it hard to believe that knife could cut anything...

nope on the knife. i had the knife flat on its back on a 2x4 ive made into a sink bridge. i had the dmt using it like i would if i was flattening and it slipped so my finger went right into the knife...lesson learned. ive done some stupid stuff in my day but wow.

im thinking i may need a bench grinder or something

also hunt and peck typing is hard

And it's a lefty too - nice challenge for you right there. I bet it'll look great when it's all done though. Maybe you should work fast before the infection sets in.

It doesn't look to bad...

it does say sakai japan on the back

i really want to get this thing back to its original state. its going to be a project thats for sure. i really dont have loads of hours to spend on the DMT so im gonna try to find a grinder to take care of the first part

Hey Snips, you want some inspiration? I'm sure you've seen the blog post that Dave made about a couple of his restorations - if not they are here and here, and they are inspiring. Also, So from Japan Tool has a fantastic discussion on restoring a yanagi and some other knives here that should give you a lot of inspiration for this project going forward. Also, TK has a thread on here somewhere where he did the same thing you are beginning to do.

Good Luck!