Time Piece

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalaeb

Banned
Reaction score
I am looking at getting myself a new work watch for Christmas.

I am retiring an old Citizen kinetic watch that has served faithfully for almost 10 years.

If you wear a watch while in the kitchen, firefighting, knifemaking or anything else abusive, which watches have you found to be the best?
Must be waterproof (dish room compatable)
Preferable metal banded (easy to clean grease off)
Able to handle higher than normal heat conditions (400 degree grill)

No Rolex suggestions please....

Luminox. Not cheap, but its indestructiblity makes up for it.

I swear by G-shock, $40-$100 bucks, indestructible and they last forever. I put mine on in the morning before I take my shower, that's how water "resistant" it is.

Seiko. I've had an all-metal Sports 100 since '84. I wear it every day, and it has logged thousands of hours out in the field. I've had it overhauled twice (cleaning, new gaskets, new cristal). Never had a mechanical issue with it.

Ha, yeah this post really needs a price range. If there is one hobby that will make collecting knives look cheap and reasonable, it's watches.

I've know quite a few watch makers and watch-obsessed mechanical engineers that all hold kobold in high regard when it comes to beautiful, tank-like time pieces.
http://www.koboldwatch.com/. They're expensive, but in the low to mid thousands, not tens of thousands.

Plus, their American made (not swiss)ones have 10yr warranties.

another vote for luminox and get the rubber/plastic band . very easy to clean ,, i scrub mine with anti-bacterial soap, water resistant to 200M. and the luminescent dots glow regardless of exposure to light and they are bright enough that my old eyes can tell the time , in the dark, without my glasses . i own two, one metal case and one composite. one for work one for play .

Ha, yeah this post really needs a price range. If there is one hobby that will make collecting knives look cheap and reasonable, it's watches.
QUOTE]

Right you are, there is no doubt that I would get a Rolex, if the funds allowed it, I have had my eye on the Explorer 2 for some time after it got the Ed Vistures thumbs up, but alas, my limit for a work watch would be 200.00.

I have a Movado I like.
Very comfortable. Easy to forget you are wearing it.
movado_m_b1.jpg

This is the one I have. Wasn't too expensive. Around $200 or so if I remember correctly.

This was from back in the day when I had a real job and wore a suit to work.
Now it's no watch, jeans and t-shirt.

looks like 10-ish
BTW the extra t in your spelling makes it look like you are calling me names.
That's ok, I've been called worse by my boss.

It's a secret handshake.......
Now I am really confused.
Does this have something to do with the Purina diet?

List price on this one is only $20,000 but you could probably talk them down a bit.
PAM00275.jpg

I like a Seiko diver and it's in your range.

6050524766_4d938f6646_z.jpg

Mine is nearly 30 years old now.
Never been serviced, still keeps great time (for an auto), and I have beat the snot out of it.

Heat, cold, fresh and salt water, wrenching on cars, blue collar work, camping, hunting, you name it.
Still looks great.
Awesome bullet proof movement...

Seiko Automatic Divers Watch. Have had mine since 1984. Literally wore it through 2 wars and 10 years of hard military duty banging around in tanks and armored vehicles... Still keeps time as good as my Rolex Submariner...probably better. Unlike my Rolex the Seiko has never needed servicing. I have a Rubber dive strap on mine but you can also get a bracelet. If you are a younger guy you can get a Seiko Orange Monster (Automatic Dive Watch with bracelet) for under $200 easy... Its also available in Black and a few other colors.... .
61Z5s8UaBlL._AA1000_.jpg

Here's the current version of what I wear:

QabMeidxkXnK_moe80BpDDjoTM6XBXhrSENf1pE8gcWeBUPRT9SSghKoT1_eBGGj5SjdK0vjLLSxfSbkhEl0-NOH_lr4nioY8IrRt_wOQAN1fekLhJed1BjovjJ-fQjJgum09eHcXJU33Pp88MunOAKcCjxNkDaosE3k4SscQ4RH_ZjqaKN0HX-frWSxvzgl5sgG7PR76wWyCyoavhdtrYyQ0Mm-iVBevddKyedskv1RUYWHltG8cF6b2yj9WgV1CmKUmndR-sc3VxY2v19oz3qLMnYIRH9ziFh53ZLoB48

Back