What boning knife should I buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinypies

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
Boning knife for poultry. From what I've read, I'm leaning towards a honesuki.

Are you right or left handed?
Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
No preference

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Approx 6"

Do you require a stainless knfe?
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Approx $200

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for?
Breaking down poultry. A couple hundred birds a week.
Ideally, I'd like for this to double as a petty, with enough knuckle space for using it on a board.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Crummy Victorinox

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
I hold the handle when breaking poultry.
Typically pinch grip for rocking chopping and push cutting if it's on a board.

What improvements do you want from your current knife?
I would like something that can break down several cases of chicken without having to stop to be honed throughout the process. Perhaps that's unreasonable.

Better aesthetics?
I'm a fan of the "blacksmith finish" but it's not a deal breaker

Comfort?
Enough knuckle space to be able to use this as a petty on the line.

Edge Retention?
This will be used 5 days a week at least. I'd like the edge to last for a few months.
Again, maybe that's unreasonable. I'm still learning about this stuff.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?
Wood and synthetic.

Do you sharpen your own knives?
No

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives?
Very! It's one of the reasons I joined this forum.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives?
Yes, although it's not in the immediate budget.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Thank you for your time!

You don't need to spend $200 for a poultry knife that slays. Tojiro DP will get the job done with plenty of change to spare.

I do recommend considering the Tojiro Pro (stainless steel handle) version of the knife. In general my opinion of SS handles is quite low, but this one is done really well both comfort and grip (when wet and even slightly greasy, because of the ribbed Tornado handle). The regular Tojiro Western handle is less comfortable IMHO and more slippery when wet/greasy.

You have Epicurean Edge near you in Kirkland. They have a few options in your price range, including an interesting Misono 6.5 inch carbon Honesuki. That store is also friendly to KKF members, offering 10% off if you mention your membership. And if you can hold out a month or so, they are known to have a decent annual Black Friday sale online too.

Never shopped there myself, but am considering doing so soon!

Cheers,
Blair

Thanks to everyone for these excellent suggestions.
Does anyone have any experience with the Misono Swedish Honesuki? I've found an offer for a very lightly used one (never sharpened by the owner who bought it new) for $100.
Does this seem like it's worth it? Is this a good series of knife?

You can find it @ Korin new for just a bit more and then you can get an industry discount on top of that I believe (10%)...that said, 100 sounds like a fair price. Not sure you'll get especially long edge retention out of the Misono but it's good steel.

I'd also look at something like this one from JKI, the price is right and everything Jon sells is quality.

That seems very nice! I may have to consider this line for some of my other butchering knives.

Well I would consider a honesuki if I were doing as much poultry as you say. https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...oducts/gesshin-ginga-150mm-stainless-honesuki

If that's too different then I would suggest a tojiro gokujo for a more traditional Western style approach.
Very nice! Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm leaning more towards the $100 range at this point, though.

You don't need to spend $200 for a poultry knife that slays. Tojiro DP will get the job done with plenty of change to spare.

I do recommend considering the Tojiro Pro (stainless steel handle) version of the knife. In general my opinion of SS handles is quite low, but this one is done really well both comfort and grip (when wet and even slightly greasy, because of the ribbed Tornado handle). The regular Tojiro Western handle is less comfortable IMHO and more slippery when wet/greasy.
I like this a lot! Thanks for the heads up on the steel handle version, too.

You have Epicurean Edge near you in Kirkland. They have a few options in your price range, including an interesting Misono 6.5 inch carbon Honesuki. That store is also friendly to KKF members, offering 10% off if you mention your membership. And if you can hold out a month or so, they are known to have a decent annual Black Friday sale online too.

Never shopped there myself, but am considering doing so soon!

Cheers,
Blair
I'll have to check them out! Thanks for the tip on the Black Friday sale.

Very nice! Good price point too.

You can find it @ Korin new for just a bit more and then you can get an industry discount on top of that I believe (10%)...that said, 100 sounds like a fair price. Not sure you'll get especially long edge retention out of the Misono but it's good steel.

I'd also look at something like this one from JKI, the price is right and everything Jon sells is quality.
Thanks so much for the great advice! I wasn't familiar with Korin until now. Looks like I can get it new for only a few dollars more!

Back