Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to protect a Chinese Cleaver at work?

How to protect a Chinese Cleaver at work?

I recently got a CCK to try out at work, and its been a great help. I've never owned a proper Chinese cleaver, and it fits my cutting style and my needs like a glove.

But I have been wondering how to keep it protected carrying it to and from work and when I'm not using it. A blade guard is what I'm doing now, but it tends to fall off in my bag(I don't carry enough knives to justify a separate roll, really). I love sayas for other knives, but I'm not about to commission a gigantic wooden sheath for a $40 knife.

How do you guys protect your cleavers at work?

I just have a felt lined sheath attached with some elastics. Although I am thinking of making a balsa saya for mine.

I've done "paper sayas" before, wrapping several layers of printer paper around the top, several layers around the bottom and taping together. It can actually look decent, though very economical. Just be careful of it sliding off along the length of the knife, but it wasn't an issue for me when I carried my cleaver(s) "tip"-down in my backpack.

I currently use a blade guard on each of my cleavers, then have each in an individual silk knife bag. No worries about slippage at all. You could just as easily wrap the knife + guard combo in a large enough cotton or silk fabric. Bind with an elastic or a cord of some kind. It all depends on how nice things need to look!

If you just need to protect the blade, the "paper sayas" worked great for me for a long time.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I recently got a CCK to try out at work, and its been a great help. I've never owned a proper Chinese cleaver, and it fits my cutting style and my needs like a glove.

But I have been wondering how to keep it protected carrying it to and from work and when I'm not using it. A blade guard is what I'm doing now, but it tends to fall off in my bag(I don't carry enough knives to justify a separate roll, really). I love sayas for other knives, but I'm not about to commission a gigantic wooden sheath for a $40 knife.

How do you guys protect your cleavers at work?
    Talk to Colin he can probably make you a leather knife sheath for it. He does good work, rustic and one of a kind.

Engorged Member
    Steve @ leather-worker.com can make you a leather sheath.

make a, ahem, saya out of duct tape and cardboard.

From what I've seen of Chinese/Asian restaurant kitchens, CCKs (along with Leung Tims and Kau Kongs and the rest) live in a plastic bucket on the floor - all crammed in together. lol

I see them come in most often in cardboard sayas, second most often are blade guards and rubber bands, then newspaper/magazine sayas.

I've been using a Messermeister edge guard for my Dexter Chinese Cleaver for years. I actually only like using the slicer model for my knives - the chef's model sucks because they tend to open up after a while.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Hmmmmmmm I might make a sheath from cheap hobby store wood...

I just don't want to commission a custom leather/wood sheath for a $40 knife, you know?