Broken J-Nat advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TamanegiKin

Reaction score
What's up guys,
So I got my first j-nat a couple month ago and I've been enjoying it a lot.
I used it last night and it worked great.
When I went to grab it today it became two pieces. I basically have two thin takashimas now. I'm wondering how this occurs so to prevent it in the future. And also what to do with my now two stones. Flatten the top of the bottom portion and use it the same way? How about the top peice? I appreciate any advice on this, thanks in advance.

IMAG0414.jpg

IMAG0415.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

Interesting. I guess it shouldn't be all that surprising in a natural... I'd probably try gluing it and then lapping through the glue whenever you finally get there... Dunno.

Ha. Could sell the top half :) It wouldn't happen to be in the 3K-5K range would it?

-M

TK, any idea what glue might be best for something like this?

@Michael, I think these are rated 8-15k.

Only if you glue the other peace to wooden base :)

Dont glue them together !

Be happy that you have 2 finishers now :D

Only if you glue the other peace to wooden base :)

Dont glue them together !

Be happy that you have 2 finishers now :D

I do feel lucky that it split the way it did. Almost two identical pieces heh.
Ok I will glue the top half onto a base. Would standard wood glue do the trick?
Thanks for the info Maxim

just make sure to use wood that is VERY stable... otherwise warping in the wood will cause even more damage to the stone... i like to use marine epoxy when gluing stones to bases

just make sure to use wood that is VERY stable... otherwise warping in the wood will cause even more damage to the stone... i like to use marine epoxy when gluing stones to bases

I see, are there alternatives to using wood as a base?
Thanks Jon

granite is really nice but a bit more expensive... you can always go to a tile place and see if they have granite or quartz scraps big enough for what you need

Ok cool, I'll check that out.
I may or may not keep it. Not sure if I need two of the same stone lol.
Thanks again for the tips guys.

Cedar wood is the best and most stable for bases. I seal all my bases befor i glue them to the stone.

I see, are there alternatives to using wood as a base?
Thanks Jon
you can use cedar, I use Red aromatic cedar and it is perfect. Another material good for base is plexiglas , corian, granite tile.
You need to seal the sides of the stone with some laquer.

Cedar wood is the best and most stable for bases. I seal all my bases befor i glue them to the stone.

that's what i used when my blue synthetic aoto started to crack up, and it's been great.

Maxim, or Edipis, what do you guys use to seal your cedar? I have a few naturals I'd like to mount. When mounting them, do you lap the bottoms, or carve the base to fit?

Maxim, or Edipis, what do you guys use to seal your cedar? I have a few naturals I'd like to mount. When mounting them, do you lap the bottoms, or carve the base to fit?

you can use shellac, I use 2 coats and it works great.

Back