What's my next knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoundOmega

Reaction score
What country are you in?
USA

KNIFE TYPE

What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Utility Knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Lean Western, not opposed to Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
~6"

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$300

KNIFE USE

​Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Primarily slicing fruits/vegetables.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Not replacing. Looking for something to work in between an 8" Kikuichi Warikomi Gold Gyuto and a 3.5" Shun Reserve Paring Knife.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch Grip.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Drawing > Slicing > Walking

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Sharpness is #1

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Irrelevant

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Heavier

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Food release, smoother slicing

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Looking to have it professionally sharpened every 6 months to a year, additional honing at home as necessary

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood, end grain. Willing to purchase other cutting boards.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
No.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
No.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Willing to pamper my knife like a dog/baby. Unfamiliar with a lot of things, so I'm more in the camp of "I want the best I can get in my price range and I will learn how to care for/use it from there."

Thanks for your help.

Takamura 150mm 6inch petty, they are all great. The r2 is cheapest and is a thin amazing little petty, i also have the 150 uchigumo which is thicker but equally as sharp and stunningly beautiful. The hsps line is basically the same but you save $100+ and lose the sexy damascus(the uchigumo damascus is one of the nicer off the shelves damascus blades.) Del ealy also comes to mind as does butch harner. Robin Dalman also makes an amazing petty, i just bought a pettysuki in unbc 20? And its intense.

A Nakiri would work well in between your gyuto and parer, esp as a veg slicer/dicer. Very effective and fun to use. I like the Watanabe, want to try the Itinomonn, and the JIM offering. 165mm would be fine for home use though I prefer 180mm.

If you want to go with Utility (Petty) there 're a lot of offerings available. Figure $1/mm for a no frills, quality stainless Petty. There are some cheaper and of course you can spend all you want on one. Gesshin Ginga Petty, comes right to mind as solid performer (bought my daughter one). 150mm for 150 bucks. Roughly.

Back