Inherited Knife....would really appreciate help to identify...Thanks!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emiller8

Reaction score
Would like to have some input on this knife I inherited. Any input would be much appreciated. This knife was my grandfathers who I know had it for at least 40 years (as long as I can remember back). This knife could be from as far back as the 1940's. He used it to chop through frozen food and big pieces of meat. The knife if 20" total in length with a 16" carbon steel (I believe) blade and a 6" handle. The wood handle has the word "Blue" surrounded by at diamond shape stamped in to it.

I will try a post a few pics as soon as I get the hang of this site.

Thanks in advance for your input!!

Eric

Here are the pics!!
s!AvpQhRfFkNZUd29Rx8sDMqzdGcs

Last edited:
I'm not 100% certain of this but I recall LF&C (Landers, Frary & Clark) having a Blue Diamond line of knives.

If I remember I'll check my reference books tomorrow and get back to you.

Dave won't toot his own horn but if you would like knife to be expertly restored, new handle, clean up, blade thinned and sharpened, no one will do it better. See his gallery for some examples of his work.

I know that many of these knives can be worth a good bit. However, is it worth it to restore it?

I made an obvious mistake on the size....the blade it 14" and the handle is 6"

I know that many of these knives can be worth a good bit. However, is it worth it to restore it?

That's up to you. If you mean if you drop some coin to restore it, will you be able to sell it and recover the coin? Prob not.

If you mean will it be a better heirloom knife to use in your kitchen? Definitely. Worth it? Would be for me. You?

14 inch blade - that is a BIG knife. I think one should consider the size and usability for a home cook. Most of us find that 240 mm (9 1/2) is plenty. It would look awesome restored, that's for sure ...

That's up to you. If you mean if you drop some coin to restore it, will you be able to sell it and recover the coin? Prob not.

If you mean will it be a better heirloom knife to use in your kitchen? Definitely. Worth it? Would be for me. You?

Yeah...that was kinda what I was thinking....just not sure I want to keep it or sell it. I don't have any children to pass it down to....I don't have use for that size of knife....just think it's cool because of the age and size. Some guys at auctions will fight over this thing though. I've not seen many from this maker....so I'm thinking it may push the value up a little.

A quick Google search shows that this is indeed LF&C.

Thanks for the info Dave!! When you gave me a name to look...I did find an old publication that mentioned the Blue within a diamond logo. That maker purchased them before the 1930's. I have a feeling this knife is going to be from around the 40's....what do you think?

Has a "frown" no? (From oversteeling). And neeeds a new handle. Would be a fun refurb project I think, probably a $25-$35 knife on ebay?

OK, I took a look at my reference books and found some (not much) info....

According to Levine's Guide to Knives And Their Values (4th Edition):

Referring to L. F. & C. (Landers Frary & Clark), "used BLUE in a diamond on the handles of professional knives in the 1930's and later"

I feel, based on the size of the blade and the full bolster construction, that this knife had to be from their professional line. I would guess 1930s-1940's production. The value isn't much though, like gic mentioned above, maybe $30(ish)?...maybe more to the right person.

Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

*Note - I also found a reference (in Goins' Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings) for "Blue Diamond" brand knives c. 1901-1908 trademarked used by Norvell-Shapleigh. Are these related? Who knows.

Thank you for the information Dave!! If I ever decide to restore it...I'll give you a call.

Take Care!!

Hello Eric, I happen to stumble onto your post while searching for answers of my own knife. Long time ago in 2014 I rescued a knife from our recycle Centre. It told a story of neglect and age. I posted some photos on this forum but could not get factual answers of where it was made. I posted in 2014 some photos, here is the link, hope one can still see it. [img=http://s25.postimage.org/uhry1wgez/DSCF0179.jpg] I cannot recall how I managed to place the photos on one drive.
The amazing thing about your and my knife is that other than the handle, they could just about been the same knife!
Regards
Edward

Very nice vintage, and in relatively good condition. With a bit of work you may get a great performer out of it.

Back