Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inherited Knife....would really appreciate help to identify...Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by emiller8 View Post
    Thanks...we're you able to view the pics?

It took a couple of tries and then I was able to open individual pictures and copy 'n paste them here. There was only 1 handle pic I couldn't get.

A quick Google search shows that this is indeed LF&C.

Administrator
    Dave won't toot his own horn but if you would like knife to be expertly restored, new handle, clean up, blade thinned and sharpened, no one will do it better. See his gallery for some examples of his work.
    Older and wider..

It it worth it?

I know that many of these knives can be worth a good bit. However, is it worth it to restore it?

Correction to size

I made an obvious mistake on the size....the blade it 14" and the handle is 6"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by emiller8 View Post
    I know that many of these knives can be worth a good bit. However, is it worth it to restore it?
    That's up to you. If you mean if you drop some coin to restore it, will you be able to sell it and recover the coin? Prob not.

If you mean will it be a better heirloom knife to use in your kitchen? Definitely. Worth it? Would be for me. You?
    Older and wider..

14 inch blade - that is a BIG knife. I think one should consider the size and usability for a home cook. Most of us find that 240 mm (9 1/2) is plenty. It would look awesome restored, that's for sure ...

Keep as Heirloom or sell???

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    That's up to you. If you mean if you drop some coin to restore it, will you be able to sell it and recover the coin? Prob not.

If you mean will it be a better heirloom knife to use in your kitchen? Definitely. Worth it? Would be for me. You?

Yeah...that was kinda what I was thinking....just not sure I want to keep it or sell it. I don't have any children to pass it down to....I don't have use for that size of knife....just think it's cool because of the age and size. Some guys at auctions will fight over this thing though. I've not seen many from this maker....so I'm thinking it may push the value up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    A quick Google search shows that this is indeed LF&C.
    Thanks for the info Dave!! When you gave me a name to look...I did find an old publication that mentioned the Blue within a diamond logo. That maker purchased them before the 1930's. I have a feeling this knife is going to be from around the 40's....what do you think?

Has a "frown" no? (From oversteeling). And neeeds a new handle. Would be a fun refurb project I think, probably a $25-$35 knife on ebay?