Handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRLOVER

Reaction score
015-11.jpg

014-11.jpg

018-4.jpg
019-2.jpg

Here's another one of the poorly stabilized spalted wood I purchased.I had two blocks explode while drilling the tang holes:slaphead:,you get what you pay for.What do you guys think about the rounding of the end of the handle.

Hmm. I'm not sure I feel strongly one way or the other as far as rounding. I think it's a nice-looking handle though. I think maybe it's a little strange to have straight lines on one end and curved lines at the other? As far as stabilization, I don't understand why a poorly stabilized piece would explode. Is it just pressure from the clamp?

I like it..... a lot.:thumbsup:

What bit were you using? I usually set the RPMs low and use minimal pressure and back out a lot to clear the hole of dust and shavings when working with any burl... tricky stuff.

They exploded due to the spalting.I was told to try and break the block with my hand to ensure they are solid.They both came apart on a spalting line when I was drilling.

Beautiful!! I like it. What are you going to put it on?

I have eight blades in the process of being heat treated.

I just noticed this thread.
The wood in the photo looks a lot like some of my spalted maple burl.
At the very least I can tell that it is west coast spalted maple burl.

If the wood came from me, let me know and I will send you a full refund of what you paid.

Their are certain structural issues to keep in mind when using spalted woods.
I don't want to hijack the thread so I will post a thread in my subforum about spalted woods.

I just noticed this thread.
The wood in the photo looks a lot like some of my spalted maple burl.
At the very least I can tell that it is west coast spalted maple burl.

If the wood came from me, let me know and I will send you a full refund of what you paid.

Their are certain structural issues to keep in mind when using spalted woods.
I don't want to hijack the thread so I will post a thread in my subforum about spalted woods.

The wood did not come from you.The person I purchased it from did the stabilizing himself.I knew better then to purchase wood that was not stabilized by right company but I bought the wood anyway:bashhead: Once they get mounted and have a few coats of tru oil they will be just fine.

The wood did not come from you.The person I purchased it from did the stabilizing himself.I knew better then to purchase wood that was not stabilized by right company but I bought the wood anyway:bashhead: Once they get mounted and have a few coats of tru oil they will be just fine.

Mario,
is this an adaptation of Rader's construction, or is it an optical illusion? I see a little curve to the end cap.

M

Back