Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Health insurance

i had two heart attacks walked into the emergency room and was told that I needed to have triple pass right now or I wasn't going to make it out the door. I said, "doc, I have no insurance, no job ." Doc says," That's too bad, your going to die if we don't do this surgery, Too bad your not an illegal alien." I say " why is that?" Doc says, " because in The State of New York we treat them for free."
    I had the surgery because I had no choice, as they are wheeling me out of the operating room the administrator comes up to me and says" Mr Allison, you can't leave the hospital until you pay the bill!" $397,000.00. I pay them a dollar a week, what are they gonna do take the heart back. She told me that if I knew I was going to have a heart attack I shouldn't have come there since it was a for profit hospital and I didn't have insurance and that I was one of the reasons insurance rates are so high.
    Now I can't get healthcare because of preexisting condition, unless I pay $1200 a month for three years continuously and nothing that has anything to do with the condition would be covered including the $1800.00 a month meds. I need a job with insurance and then the preexisting is automatically covered. I was 33 when this happened at least I made it to 37 or 38 I don't remember , had a stroke as a complication to the surgery a couple of months later, couldn't sue them as apparently I signed a waver sometime after I was sedated. SOB's

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    She told me that if I knew I was going to have a heart attack I shouldn't have come there since it was a for profit hospital and I didn't have insurance and that I was one of the reasons insurance rates are so high.
    See, that's one of the things I am talking about. It would have been better you died somewhere else then burden the poor hospital administrator with more problems. I am not big on corporal punishment, but somebody like this should be slapped in the face every morning for the rest of her life... I have heard similar things from physicians who, IMHO, don't have the character to work as a health professional and should give back their license. Incidentally, my med school dean is a great example for that breed of creatures, but I am bit biased there...

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    i had two heart attacks walked into the emergency room and was told that I needed to have triple pass right now or I wasn't going to make it out the door. I said, "doc, I have no insurance, no job ." Doc says," That's too bad, your going to die if we don't do this surgery, Too bad your not an illegal alien." I say " why is that?" Doc says, " because in The State of New York we treat them for free."
    I had the surgery because I had no choice, as they are wheeling me out of the operating room the administrator comes up to me and says" Mr Allison, you can't leave the hospital until you pay the bill!" $397,000.00. I pay them a dollar a week, what are they gonna do take the heart back. She told me that if I knew I was going to have a heart attack I shouldn't have come there since it was a for profit hospital and I didn't have insurance and that I was one of the reasons insurance rates are so high.
    Now I can't get healthcare because of preexisting condition, unless I pay $1200 a month for three years continuously and nothing that has anything to do with the condition would be covered including the $1800.00 a month meds. I need a job with insurance and then the preexisting is automatically covered. I was 33 when this happened at least I made it to 37 or 38 I don't remember , had a stroke as a complication to the surgery a couple of months later, couldn't sue them as apparently I signed a waver sometime after I was sedated. SOB's
    It's NY you can always Sue! You just got to go out and get you one of those shyster lawyers.

Back to the topic, boy I guess I started a good one this time

When you work for even a small company you can get health coverage for a some what resoluble amount of money. So why can't a individual? The last place I worked it cost 380 a month and there were less then 12 families on this plane. The insurance companies can't by off setting costs with so few people, got to come out of a bigger pot. So why can't everyone jump into it? Sounds to me like it would be in a insurance companies best interest to sell as many policy's as they can??

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    It's NY you can always Sue! You just got to go out and get you one of those shyster lawyers.

Back to the topic, boy I guess I started a good one this time

When you work for even a small company you can get health coverage for a some what resoluble amount of money. So why can't a individual? The last place I worked it cost 380 a month and there were less then 12 families on this plane. The insurance companies can't by off setting costs with so few people, got to come out of a bigger pot. So why can't everyone jump into it? Sounds to me like it would be in a insurance companies best interest to sell as many policy's as they can??
    Insurance companies want to maximize profits, so it isn't the number of policies, it is the aggregate risk. A small pool is risky, one person gets a catastrophic illness and it kills the profit. Good companies pay a bigger chunk of the cost themselves, In my case, I'm told that my employer pays more than half of the actual premium.

Reasonable cost is in the eye of the beholder. At my company, we have a wide spread of incomes, anywhere from close to minimum wage to six figures. Everyone pays the same monthly premium for healthcare. The seven figure guys pay nothing.
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Refraining, for the moment, from polemics, Wild Boar made a constructive suggestion; find a good insurance broker.
    While I've taken care to have health insurance for the last forty years, I was unprepared for what would happen when my daughter got too old to be covered by my policy. With a pre-existing condition, it was a scuffle.
    We had the (not entirely accidental) good fortune to be referred to an insurance broker with a child in the same circumstance; he was a crusader, and knew his stuff.
    It is unlikely you will develop the knowledge or expertise to do (a good job of) this yourself. I can't cook, but for the last twenty years I've been an arbitration advocate for a labor union, and I'm pretty good at this kind of thing (bureaucratic crap). Nevertheless, there are times when the best play is to have someone do it for you.
    I will no doubt return to polemics before dawn, having been encouraged by the postings of Apicus, Spike, and JD.

OK Niloc. You may have started this thread,but you certainly didn't start the discussion. You know you can't realistically expect people to keep their comments withing prescribed limits, especially when they're intoxicated.
    I've offered the best advice I could with regard to securing coverage for yourself or your employees.; i.e., find a good insurance broker. Kind of like, "Get a good lawyer."
    Now, to the point. The problem is universal. If you, or I, find a way out, that does nothing to help everyone else. Do you care? I do.
    Where is it written that we have to pay some exorbitant (any) percentage of every dollar we spend on health care to capitalist parasites? Why should we? Isn't it enough that they control almost everything else; pretty soon they'll even own the Postal Service.
    In some former life I played poker for a living, and it was widely accepted that you couldn't beat a game with a four percent rake. So, after a time, I owned a game, and raked the **** out of it. No one won, because all the chips eventually went down the slot. I even made my dealers kick back 25% of their tips. Someone should have shot me.
    What sense is there in Bill burke having to work in some wage job so he can provide health care for his family? You can expand that to encompass all the people who have to take jobs they despise for that reason, as another poster opined.
    Yes, there would be inefficiencies and graft in a government administered program, but the civil service on its worst day could not match the greed and corruption of "private enterprise". Insurance companies are a loathsome scam; they're in business to collect premiums, and do everything possible to avoid paying claims.
    Capitalism is much like a religion, demanding unthinking devotion. And all the gold winds up in Rome.

Makes me wonder whatever happened to my red flags after I stowed them away 20 years ago I said my piece and don't want to rile this up any more, I just hope that all of you may find a good solution for themselves. Who knows, my contract runs out in Juli and I may be in the same situation then.

Stefan

When i was 24 i decided i probably should finally get insurance. Convinced my boss to start a group for 3 people. Was about900 a month. Less than 6 months later a two freak things that required surgery and over 40000 in bills. I was pretty glad i was payin 900. No insurance now however. It is a sad thing indeed Way too many people not covered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    The term "shyster" is regarded by some Jewish people as an anti-Semitic term.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

He meant "oyster"...the shellfish business is pretty competitive these days.

The Aztecs had a practice of paying their doctors to keep them healthy, they stopped getting paid when a patient got sick. If the royal doctor lost a patient in a ruling family, they killed him too. Not saying we should kill anyone, just saying the incentives went the right direction is all.