Quantcast
Health insurance - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Health insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jeff View Post
    He's not well regarded in most respected economic circles btw....
    can't say i give a toss about "respected economic circles," these days.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jeff View Post
    You forgot to add "Former ENRON economic advisor" to Krugman's tag line. He's not well regarded in most respected economic circles btw....
    True, he was a former Enron adviser. Also true that he worked there for I think 9-10 months, and was on an advisory board that did nothing. I don't even know how you gauge respect in economic circles (is there a poll you know about that I don't?), but I do know that he writes an Op-Ed for arguably the most prestigious newspaper in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    The nation's five largest for-profit insurers closed 2009 with a combined profit of $12.2 billion, according to a report by the advocacy group Health Care for American Now (HCAN).
    And that is after even their lowest level "executive" officers are paid well in excess of $200k/yr.

Oh good. This unpleasantness is behind us. Back to collecting knives.

In California, a "company" can have as little as two employees and qualify for group rates, the trick is both people have to be drawing a salary - so a family owned business can qualify by splitting the draw among two people - i'm not sure of the rule sin other states.

That having been said the subsidies in Obamacare are quite good for moderate income people and are worth looking into...

As a non US citizen,i find your health care system incomprehensible.Some of your stories i find shocking.If i was an elected representative of the people of one of the most wealthy countries in the world and failed to at least attempt to address this issue i would expect to live my remaining days in shame.
    I am also not a Doctor but my understanding is that ,prior to obtaining ones licence to practice,the individual is required to swear to uphold the Hypocratic oath.Maybe this is a myth?-the lack of empathy and compassion to those in suffering and who do not possess a fat wallet from many (but i am sure not all)medical practitioners would suggest that the moral compass needs to be redressed.Perhaps Ethics is no longer taught in medical schools?

Quote Originally Posted by scotchef38 View Post
    As a non US citizen,i find your health care system incomprehensible.Some of your stories i find shocking.If i was an elected representative of the people of one of the most wealthy countries in the world and failed to at least attempt to address this issue i would expect to live my remaining days in shame.
    I am also not a Doctor but my understanding is that ,prior to obtaining ones licence to practice,the individual is required to swear to uphold the Hypocratic oath.Maybe this is a myth?-the lack of empathy and compassion to those in suffering and who do not possess a fat wallet from many (but i am sure not all)medical practitioners would suggest that the moral compass needs to be redressed.Perhaps Ethics is no longer taught in medical schools?
    I can understand how foreigners find our system incomprehensible, but it is a bit more complicated than that and you may get some harsh comments in response. Don't get me wrong, I have experienced medical care in Europe and the US, I spent a good chunk of my life uninsured, I deplore the US system, and I am married to a doctor. But the Spanish flu, the advent of BlueCross in the 1920s selling insurance to Texas teachers, the great depression, and then the wage and price controls during WWII all worked together to create the rather contorted employer-based health care we have today. Add to that LBJ's addition of medicare and we have a big pile of something -- not sure what, just something. And that something just happens to take care of some really well and others not at all.

The only thing that will ever change it IMO is the next health catastrophe similar to the Spanish flu. Once that happens, private health insurers will go bankrupt just like the banks of the most recent 'catastrophe' and the government will have to bail them out. That event will probably change things drastically. But wt-f do I know really

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by scotchef38 View Post
    Since you are not familiar with it, and have not used it, your comments really are just conjecture. You are attacking it based on hearing a few stories. Just as with anything else, no one publicizes when everything goes A-Okay, which is the vast majority of the time.

I talked to my insurance broker the other day. My rates have been going crazy.
    Long story short, I was paying $1427 per month for my ex, daughter and myself. For a crappy plan with a high deductible.
    Under Obamacare my monthly cost, for a better plan will be $213 limited providers or $306 unlimited providers. And it includes Mental health (A must have) which my other plan didn't cover. In all fairness I took a pay cut last year which helped the premium.

That's for me only. The ex will be about the same and daughter dirt cheap.

We pay close to $600/ mo now per employee for single person coverage under a decent preferred provider plan that has reasonable deductibles. A family plan with the same coverage is ~$1,500/ mo (we pay 100% of the single person coverage, anyone who needs to cover spouse/ family needs to pick up the difference). Probably better coverage that most younger workers need, but we had two people with serious health conditions over the last few years (one terminal pancreatic cancer) and the coverage resulted in them paying very little out-of-pocket. And also several people with sports-related injuries from flag football/ softball/ skiing, etc.