Jns medium sharpening set

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The easy answer is yes, that's an excellent one and done set of synthetics.

What kind of knives will you be sharpening? The hard set might, in theory, be a better fit.

The easy answer is yes, that's an excellent one and done set of synthetics.

What kind of knives will you be sharpening? The hard set might, in theory, be a better fit.

I have two CTS-XHP stainless from Butch which I want to treat well.

A very old carbon cleaver I picked up in Chinatown so don't know the exact composition.

An iron clad blue 2 core Tanaka and

A r2 core stainless damascus clad Syousin

Plus an assortment of Henckles.

I'm just getting into better knives and want to take good care of them from the get go.

I appreciate and and all feedback.

We are fortunate that a couple of our vendors have put together house "sets" of stones that work well together.

I like Maxim's Splash and Go offerings a lot. The JNS 300 is my favorite coarse stone - some feedback, true S&G, can't seem to dish the thing. Fugly stone though. The 1K (and older 1.2K) are very good med stones. I finish Gyutos on the JNS Auto and/or 6K. Also have his 800 around just cause.

You've not mentioned a preference between S&G or Soakers. I like the soakers for feedback but have been using S&G lately for their convience. The difficulties in soakers is not in getting them wet - that's easy. It's a PIA to get them dry. If you can do a permasoak you will probably find them more pleasant than S&G.

JKI also has some stones that work well together but that's for another subforum.

At this point I don't have a preference for a soaker vs splash and go. Based on what I've read here you TEND.to get more feedback with soakers...

Since I'm discovering the joys of how a good knife feels I suspect I'll prefer soakers...but to be honest will likely end up with a mix of both.

At this point I don't have a preference for a soaker vs splash and go. Based on what I've read here you TEND.to get more feedback with soakers...

Since I'm discovering the joys of how a good knife feels I suspect I'll prefer soakers...but to be honest will likely end up with a mix of both.

Just be warned that with soakers that while they say 10 to 15 min soaker most people will say that they feel and perform better with a longer soak.

So as Dave said, if you don't permasoak then it can be a PIA if yoy want a quick sharpen or are just not organised (like me).

I can actually go either way. I'm a pretty patient person so waiting for a good soak is ok. Permasoak is ok. Spash and go is ok. I suspect it will be a zen thing.

If you're more into zen/feel than speed, you might indeed like a soaker set. I fall more into that category, fwiw, as I don't sharpen on a daily basis and am happy with the feel of the soakers I have. JKI has some great soakers, but as Dave said there's another subforum for that. I think pretty much all JNS synthetics can be soaked but most don't need it. Only the 800 "needs" it, at least in my experience. And it's a very fun, interesting stone to use.

Back