What is everybody using to thin these days?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labor of love

https://www.teruyasu.net/products/
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for something that removes steel fast, i don't care about comfort or feedback just something crazy agressive that gets the job done quicker than most. Lately ive been looking at maybe a shapton 120 grit or Jon's 220 grit at jki. Any advice/suggestions/or feedback concerning the before mentioned stones would be much obliged! For what it's worth things like the king 300/jki 400/cerax 320 etc etc are a little too slow for me.
Thanks!

Naninwa 220 i have the imanishi 220 as well and find the naniwa slightly more even at steel removal and seems to be slightly less aggressive causing a more even scratch pattern.

I have Jon's giant pink brick Gesshin 220. It is quite thirsty and sounds/feels like what I imagine sharpening on a cinderblock to be (that might be all 220grit range stones though, I only own the one). But it does work, and the scratch pattern can get refined by the next step up in a coarse or fast cutting medium stone without problems. Maybe after working on it for most of your thinning, flatten with diamond plate any dishing if no convexity is important to your purpose.

I have Jon's giant pink brick Gesshin 220. It is quite thirsty and sounds/feels like what I imagine sharpening on a cinderblock to be (that might be all 220grit range stones though, I only own the one). But it does work, and the scratch pattern can get refined by the next step up in a coarse or fast cutting medium stone without problems. Maybe after working on it for most of your thinning, flatten with diamond plate any dishing if no convexity is important to your purpose.
Yep. Those are the attributes I'm looking for. Have you tried working up mud before you begin thinning? I have stones I can clean up the scratch pattern w no problem.

Also,
For what it's worth I just killed a sigma power 240 that I could work some mud on.

Yep. Those are the attributes I'm looking for. Have you tried working up mud before you begin thinning? I have stones I can clean up the scratch pattern w no problem.

I've used it after flattening with an Atoma 140 and not washing the mud off before...trying to remember if I felt differently about how those sessions went vs not having the mud. It's only recently seen usage on heaps of cheap NSF stainless knives mostly without built up mud. Mine's so thirsty any mud quickly becomes crumble (think wetted sand is that drying out). And might ride the scratches up higher on the blade via excessive loose grit

I used a green brick, but now I use the 1000 diamond stone Jon sells in the 1k/6k package. Really gets the job done.

Are you talking about the jki diamond 400 or the regular? I'd love to hear feedback on the diamond 400.

Are you talking about the jki diamond 400 or the regular? I'd love to hear feedback on the diamond 400.

I'm talking about the regular original gesh 400. I'm looking for a dedicated thinning stone-if I went the diamond route I would grab something lower than 1k. Even though el likes it, and I definitely trust his opinion.

Jon's pink brick 220, is not the best for thinning. Let me explain how it worked for me.
Slower than expected for 220
Dishes super fast and thirsty
Due to the above u gotta flatten it often to get a good result
I used almost 2/3 of it in just one project

Its a good stone for fast bevel setting, feedback is rather good taking the grit into consideration.

I prefer Shapton Pro 320 now days. I did not try any lower grit Shaptons tho.

+1 on more about Jon's 400 diamond stone. Expensive but if anything like the 1/6k diamond stones in comparison, that could seal the deal for me. Would love feedback from anyone with one. Based on descriptions it sounds promising. (Just brutally expensive!)

If you want to thin at any reasonable speed you must use a low grit diamond like atoma 140, the purpose of the JKI 220 is to remove the scratch patterns of anything lower than itself, in which case using it muddy makes for a really even and quick process. If its your job to thin knives, no one in their right minds would use a stone, so low grit stones no matter which brand are a double edged sword, they cut fast but dish fast too. Don't be afraid of very aggressive diamond stones, because buying a high quality low grit like the jki 220 will take away all the nasty scratches quickly.

I bought a silicon carbide stone from a chinese market for under $3 and it eats away at knives like crazy. Lots of scratches but no problem when I went King 400, 1000, 6000.

Atoma 140, followed by Bester 220 and then JNS300. For minor thinning I start with JNS300. It is very dish-resistant, what is an advantage for thinning.

Atoma diamond plates, then Shapton Pro 1K (Takes out diamond scratches really surprisingly well... Coarser stones can sometimes be less efficient at this for some reason.), then onto other stones for creating contrast or polishing monosteels. I don't really care for muddy stone which dish for thinning; it's more challenging to get precisely cut thinning bevels, and the mud can hide low-spots which can come back to haunt you later when you reach the finishing stage.

- Steampunk

medium, too hard and it wares down the stone too fast

I also likie to criss cross my scratch marks if possible too to speed thinngs up

Yep, Atoma does not like too much pressure - that does not make it any faster anyhow. But it takes some self-discipline if you spend a few hours on it :)

Back