Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Customer feedback.

I love how easy it is to sharpen your gyutos and specially the very thin tip (usefull for those horizontal cuts on onions etc). Well finished and lovely handles. If i had to ask for anything else, it would be the possibility to make gyuto workhorses that are very thin behind the edge (as opposed to lasers) with integral handles. I imagine your grind would shine on those heavier gyutos.

I have a AEB-L 270 suji with a reindeer antler and birch handle from Robin. The handle materials are beautiful and the simple styling lets them do the talking. As far as the blade goes, it's my go-to draw cut slicer. The heel height is just right for me (AKA not too low) and the blade feels very nimble through the tip. More so than my 240 gyutos for sure. It glides through food beautifully. I can't really say too much about edge retention as I tend to use it regularly but for short periods of time. It has stayed very sharp so far.

The buying experience was very enjoyable. Robin sold me some materials for a saya and a few of my own handles as well. He even included some extra bits of antler and bog oak for spacers!

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    I have to say that I really dislike Robins knives. Crappy materials, shoddy craftsmanship, cut like IKEA knives. That's why he's currently working on my fourth

Quote Originally Posted by alterwisser View Post
    I have to say that I really dislike Robins knives. Crappy materials, shoddy craftsmanship, cut like IKEA knives. That's why he's currently working on my fourth
    Being swedish this makes sense he's working on blades 5 and 6 now for me. Might squeeze him for a seventh.

Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    Being swedish this makes sense he's working on blades 5 and 6 now for me. Might squeeze him for a seventh.
    You're still not the record holder, my friend LOL ... I think there's a Swedish chef somewhere with 9 (!)

That's approaching Australians hoarding Shigs territory!

Quote Originally Posted by alterwisser View Post
    You're still not the record holder, my friend LOL ... I think there's a Swedish chef somewhere with 9 (!)

That's approaching Australians hoarding Shigs territory!
    I'll beat that sum of a ... Dalman is king of lasers, im sure I hear his knives go phew phew when I cut.

For those with multiple, or extreme multiple, knives of Robin's, what kind of distribution among types do you have? I just have a gyuto, though soon to have a second, but wondering what else you are using other than gyutos or sujis.

Quote Originally Posted by mc2442 View Post
    For those with multiple, or extreme multiple, knives of Robin's, what kind of distribution among types do you have? I just have a gyuto, though soon to have a second, but wondering what else you are using other than gyutos or sujis.
    240 Gyuto, Mini, Santoku (ok, gave that to my mom) and soon 210 Carbon K Tip

150 petty suki, kiridashi, 6 inch Hunter, 3 inch edc. On order 285 xxxt gyuto 65mm and a smaller 90/120mm petty, might convince him to do a 65-70mm kawamuki as well. His cleaver/nakiri game looks strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo Amaral View Post
    I love how easy it is to sharpen your gyutos and specially the very thin tip (usefull for those horizontal cuts on onions etc). Well finished and lovely handles. If i had to ask for anything else, it would be the possibility to make gyuto workhorses that are very thin behind the edge (as opposed to lasers) with integral handles. I imagine your grind would shine on those heavier gyutos.
    It will be interesting to hear impressions of the new passaround knife I'm sending out with the new variant on my grind... If it's good I can definately say I can make that.
    Email preferred to pm; Robin@dalmanknives.com
    I answer new inquirys once per week.