Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Customer feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer View Post
    150 petty suki, kiridashi, 6 inch Hunter, 3 inch edc. On order 285 xxxt gyuto 65mm and a smaller 90/120mm petty, might convince him to do a 65-70mm kawamuki as well. His cleaver/nakiri game looks strong.
    Cleaver?

Robin, send me 10 knives.
    I will post lots of feedback.

BTW, where is the current pass around?

“Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Robin, send me 10 knives.
    I will post lots of feedback.

BTW, where is the current pass around?
    Haha ofc.. It will be a while, I'll keep it at the end of my list

The new passaround blade was just sharpened. Going to stick a handle on and send out beginning next week for the US tour. New grind variant..

Quote Originally Posted by mc2442 View Post
    Cleaver?
    Yeah he recently started making some, he has(had) two amazing honyaki ones on his site. Given his s grind they should perform beautifully and be super light weight. That'll probably be my next purchase albeit in damascus(poor wallet)

You guys are nuts, about DallyMan. I'm right there with you with my modest 170mm Funi. He's working on the aforementioned clever in carbon for me. I have impossible expectations based on all of the knives I handles from him.

Reminds me of:

Yeah he recently started making some, he has(had) two amazing honyaki ones on his site. Given his s grind they should perform beautifully and be super light weight. That'll probably be my next purchase albeit in damascus(poor wallet)
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by alterwisser View Post
    I have to say that I really dislike Robins knives. Crappy materials, shoddy craftsmanship, cut like IKEA knives. That's why he's currently working on my fourth
    Being swedish this makes sense he's working on blades 5 and 6 now for me. Might squeeze him for a seventh.
    You guys need to be more patient. I'm sure he'll figure it out.
    Older and wider..

Being swedish this makes sense he's working on blades 5 and 6 now for me. Might squeeze him for a seventh.
    This was my 1000th post do I win a prize?

Quote Originally Posted by alterwisser View Post
    I have to say that I really dislike Robins knives. Crappy materials, shoddy craftsmanship, cut like IKEA knives. That's why he's currently working on my fourth
    Without taking ANYTHING away from Robin, WTH do you do with 5-6-7-9 knives from the same maker? Do you have all different shapes and lengths? I can't even bring myself to spring for a second from him without trying a few other makers.

Also, I wanted to add to my previous comments that his profile is really good, too. To my eyes it even looks kinda like the Forgecraft profile, with a smooth, almost-flat curve towards the tip instead of a flat spot + belly towards the tip. Makes it feel nice and nimble.

I'm also experimenting with different sharpening routines to see if I can get a nice toothy edge on the AEB-L. Like JKI 1k diamond > white binsui > Khao Men. See if that leaves a bit more Jaws.
    actually named Mike

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanHumphrey View Post
    Without taking ANYTHING away from Robin, WTH do you do with 5-6-7-9 knives from the same maker? Do you have all different shapes and lengths? I can't even bring myself to spring for a second from him without trying a few other makers.

Also, I wanted to add to my previous comments that his profile is really good, too. To my eyes it even looks kinda like the Forgecraft profile, with a smooth, almost-flat curve towards the tip instead of a flat spot + belly towards the tip. Makes it feel nice and nimble.

I'm also experimenting with different sharpening routines to see if I can get a nice toothy edge on the AEB-L. Like JKI 1k diamond > white binsui > Khao Men. See if that leaves a bit more Jaws.
    I will only have w 4, so I can't answer your question

I have 4 and 2/3 more coming this year. All are very different and two were free, I'm defiantly not saying no to free dalmans. I have a true single bevel pettysuki, a kiridashi and two hunters, one +/- 70 mm one +/- 150. I had wanted to try takeda but after speaking to a few people decided against it. Dalman when he started was compared to him and I had been lusting after one of takedas 270/300 mm giant gyutos so I had dalman toss me down a 285 x 65 gyuto that's coming for xmas. I also had him make me a 90/120mm petty in order to use up scraps. Depending upon what's left I may have him toss down a kawamuki or neck knife but that's a time will tell thing. One advantage to using the same maker 2-3 times is he knows what I disliked about his previous knives(all were excellent btw) allowing him to better meet my expectations as a client. This is different with off the shelf blades obviously where you have minimal control. I strongly recommend a second dalman, his cleaver game has gone up leaps and bounds since his first one he made xoomg and his smaller single bevel blades are a solid fun addition... I wish he had san mai single bevel I'd be all over those. He also has probably the cheapest honyaki knife on the market if you just wanted one to say you have one. Plus the guys a genius with material usage and his blades have strong provenence. I commonly compare him to rene redzepi for these reasons. His blades seem pure in hand and really make me smile with child like innocence when used.