Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Customer feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by DanHumphrey View Post
    Ok let's be clear, I'm not kicking Kristin Bell out of bed, ever.

One other note, Dalman's knives are so thin they actually don't stick as well to my knife strip, which grabs my Tanaka just fine.

Dammit this is another reason I should break down and get a new-grind in O1, isn't it?
    It is

Btw, keep tweaking your sharpening, maybe you find it have good edge retention with the right edge. That's what I find for myself. I cook almost every day and went almost 6 months on only stropping on loaded balsa (green compound). Sometimes my initial sharpened edge is too weak (low angle/thin) for my use, and so after a couple of touch ups on strop it seems to hit a "sweet spot" for my use and I have a very long lasting edge.

Quote Originally Posted by RDalman View Post
    It is

Btw, keep tweaking your sharpening, maybe you find it have good edge retention with the right edge. That's what I find for myself. I cook almost every day and went almost 6 months on only stropping on loaded balsa (green compound). Sometimes my initial sharpened edge is too weak (low angle/thin) for my use, and so after a couple of touch ups on strop it seems to hit a "sweet spot" for my use and I have a very long lasting edge.
    Ha, let's see if my... good lord is almost 24-hours-wife-to-be's mother does give me her X3 later this year. If that happens, I'll go ahead and place the order. If her sister decides she wants it, I'll need to buy myself a 4Runner, and in that case a $700 knife will be, sadly, not likely.

actually named Mike

Quote Originally Posted by DanHumphrey View Post
    Ok let's be clear, I'm not kicking Kristin Bell out of bed, ever.

One other note, Dalman's knives are so thin they actually don't stick as well to my knife strip, which grabs my Tanaka just fine.

Dammit this is another reason I should break down and get a new-grind in O1, isn't it?
    I am intrigued by this. I wonder if it isn't the thinness as logically to me, thinness shouldn't effect its ability to "grab", but more the scalloping (sorry probably not the right term), as that puts the metal further out of the magnetic field, which tends to be quite small/weaker because of the timber.

Quote Originally Posted by malexthekid View Post
    I am intrigued by this. I wonder if it isn't the thinness as logically to me, thinness shouldn't effect its ability to "grab", but more the scalloping (sorry probably not the right term), as that puts the metal further out of the magnetic field, which tends to be quite small/weaker because of the timber.
    It's definitely the amount of metal, at least partly. Magnets have a stronger pull to more iron. For example, on my girlfriend's bike I had put in a small rare earth magnet on the inside of one pedal (to help the cadence sensor). Inside the damn hex hole you use to remove it, because I wasn't thinking. When she got fancy new pedals I couldn't pry it out. What was the solution? Grab a 5lb weight plate (much more iron than the pedal spindle), touch it to the magnet, and when I pulled it away the magnet came with. Similarly, my NuForgecraft grabs much harder on the magnetic strip than even my Tanaka which doesn't have a scallop.

I mean, I could be wrong, I suppose, it's been a minute since physics and I never liked anything past Newton. But it sure seems like it's the case.
    actually named Mike

Quote Originally Posted by malexthekid View Post
    I think you're right. I haven't experienced this myself as my magnet bar is pretty strong

The new grind is remarkable. The original knife from the previous passaround looks very similar, but the performance of the new one is significantly improved in my opinion. The extra weight (by no means heavy) , with a more forward balance point help the knife fall through food effortlessly. I believe the new geometry and added weight will appeal to a lot of people. It performed so well, and stayed so sharp, that I felt compelled to pull out a bunch of other knives and put them to stones. The previous knife is going along with it in the passaround for comparison. Robin's come a long way in a short time.

I'll put Wills feedback here then

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTdbk9nF...y=dalmanknives