Customer feedback.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDalman

Unsupportive Member
Reaction score
Since I'm no longer vendor on the other forum, alot of good feedback is no longer around.

If you have a knife from me, I'd be very grateful if you would be willing to write a couple of lines. And please be honest. It may be of interest how old your knife is, since my knives have "evolved" some, and hopefully my skill as well.

Lol I say a term and you run with it, I've defiantly seen a big jump in overall looks of your blades as of late, I remember your old kkf days, I wouldn't of touched you with a 10 foot pole.. I've only handled your new knives minus my mom's hunter and that seemed fine +/- 60 seconds use. As far as my blades go they were all excellent(I own three and kept the pass around for a month lol) the Hunter is stunning, excellent grind, very sturdy in hand, beautiful Burl wood(this is part of what makes it a gentlemans Hunter) and loaded witih detail work that I love, the hammered guard is a subtle and very much appreciated touch, the single pin adds some modest flair and doubles to keep the handle mechanically secured. The sheath needs some work though, mine broke on its first mission; maybe theres a better way to attach the belt loop. The blade is thin and mighty, easily splitting lumber for kindling and still capable of doing in hand work like slicing apples. The pettysuki is again very functional, stupidly reactive(it's no longer shiny lol) the design is amazing, capable of protein prep, butchery and excels at general petty work, lemons nightmare. As far as production goes the ura(backside) man I hope I used that right felt under finished(being a prototype that's fine) 10-15 minutes on the grinder and that would be polished out. I would love to see some san mai single bevels pumped out with a wave pattern on the back(0 idea how they do that, ask around) that blade with stainless san mai damascus would be God tier. The kiridashi is just that a **** dashi that does work(used it twice for pastry lol) as far as improvements go, your defiantly making strides, your handles have become amazing, showing subtle detail work not seen until recently. Engravings, exotic materials, better more inspired combinations and use of damascus. It's really amazing to watch. All the time the blades feel Dalmanesque, never losing focus of your roots, sticking to local materials and pushing boundaries, a few of your handles could pass as bill burkes or randies work. Basically now I think you just need to dial in the fit and finish to that next level(which your doing) and maybe look into teaming up with a master Smith to bang out some more advanced forging teqniques(come on Robin Dalman meets Ed Fowler) that would be a sick combination. Basically you just need to push forward and keep doing what your doing, your obviously a great smith, you have a 6+ month wait and can constantly increase your prices. I look forward to seeing where you are in 2-3 years. P.S. get your js from abs I want that ms stamp on more of my blades lol.

Thank you Evan and Mark! We'll sort that sheath, outdoor knives aren't my specialty :)

Honest feedback:

LOVE the 240 gyuto in AEB-L you made me! Beautiful, model-thin, heartlessly demolishes onions and every other produce I've pointed it at (and can dice them finer than my lesser knives!).

The one thing I wish I could change is the steel - it takes an edge easily, but seems to lose it relatively quickly as well (not just a wire edge, either, that I can see, it just drops towards average fairly quickly). A quick touchup brings it back, but if you could make a knife out of Blue or the 1.2442 that Catcheside uses I'd be in knife heaven. And I don't want anyone to be put off by this comment; the White knives I've tried, including an Ikeda and a Kagekiyo, make me feel the same way, so I think I just prefer tougher, toothier, more-alloyed steels over finer, simpler ones. Or I just need to learn a better technique to sharpen them.

Edit: I forgot that actually the reason I came to your sub-forum was to see if there was a chance you'd ever get such a steel to play with. If you do, please PM me! The want is stronk.

Thanks Mike!! I'll start a new thread later and we can talk steel :)

I am definitely loving the AEB-L knife that Robin made for me so far as nothing seems to slow it down. It is very thin and just glides through everything I have tried it on. One of the best features is food release, very little sticks to it! I will have to see over time about the edge retention, but I have not had problems with AEB-L in other knives. I am a home cook with a lot of knives to choose from, so this might not be the best area for me to comment on :)

Robin was great to deal with during the making of the knife, very responsive and helpful. I really don't think the man sleeps as he responds to emails at all hours, especially with the time difference.

If you ever get into forging, like hardcore zdp-189 wrapped in damasteel would be amazing, thor pattern, 1/1.5 inch bar and slide in a little piece of zdp, make a cute little taco, I'd rock that as a 200/210mm line knife with unbelieveable pride. Thor pattern would be sick in that application.

Haha mc2442 thanks. I sleep when America works I think.

Godslayer hahahaha that'll have to wait a wee bit, until I have a spaced out lab/shop. Thor pattern is cool though. I lile the hakkapella as well, have a couple bars laying actually :p

I love how easy it is to sharpen your gyutos and specially the very thin tip (usefull for those horizontal cuts on onions etc). Well finished and lovely handles. If i had to ask for anything else, it would be the possibility to make gyuto workhorses that are very thin behind the edge (as opposed to lasers) with integral handles. I imagine your grind would shine on those heavier gyutos.

I have a AEB-L 270 suji with a reindeer antler and birch handle from Robin. The handle materials are beautiful and the simple styling lets them do the talking. As far as the blade goes, it's my go-to draw cut slicer. The heel height is just right for me (AKA not too low) and the blade feels very nimble through the tip. More so than my 240 gyutos for sure. It glides through food beautifully. I can't really say too much about edge retention as I tend to use it regularly but for short periods of time. It has stayed very sharp so far.

The buying experience was very enjoyable. Robin sold me some materials for a saya and a few of my own handles as well. He even included some extra bits of antler and bog oak for spacers!

I have to say that I really dislike Robins knives. Crappy materials, shoddy craftsmanship, cut like IKEA knives. That's why he's currently working on my fourth [emoji12][emoji6]

I have to say that I really dislike Robins knives. Crappy materials, shoddy craftsmanship, cut like IKEA knives. That's why he's currently working on my fourth [emoji12][emoji6]

Being swedish this makes sense :p he's working on blades 5 and 6 now for me. Might squeeze him for a seventh.

You're still not the record holder, my friend LOL ... I think there's a Swedish chef somewhere with 9 (!)

That's approaching Australians hoarding Shigs territory!

I'll beat that sum of a ... Dalman is king of lasers, im sure I hear his knives go phew phew when I cut.

For those with multiple, or extreme multiple, knives of Robin's, what kind of distribution among types do you have? I just have a gyuto, though soon to have a second, but wondering what else you are using other than gyutos or sujis.

For those with multiple, or extreme multiple, knives of Robin's, what kind of distribution among types do you have? I just have a gyuto, though soon to have a second, but wondering what else you are using other than gyutos or sujis.

240 Gyuto, Mini, Santoku (ok, gave that to my mom) and soon 210 Carbon K Tip

150 petty suki, kiridashi, 6 inch Hunter, 3 inch edc. On order 285 xxxt gyuto 65mm and a smaller 90/120mm petty, might convince him to do a 65-70mm kawamuki as well. His cleaver/nakiri game looks strong.

I love how easy it is to sharpen your gyutos and specially the very thin tip (usefull for those horizontal cuts on onions etc). Well finished and lovely handles. If i had to ask for anything else, it would be the possibility to make gyuto workhorses that are very thin behind the edge (as opposed to lasers) with integral handles. I imagine your grind would shine on those heavier gyutos.

It will be interesting to hear impressions of the new passaround knife I'm sending out with the new variant on my grind... If it's good I can definately say I can make that.

Robin, send me 10 knives.
I will post lots of feedback.
:D

BTW, where is the current pass around?

Haha ofc.. It will be a while, I'll keep it at the end of my list :)

The new passaround blade was just sharpened. Going to stick a handle on and send out beginning next week for the US tour. New grind variant..

Yeah he recently started making some, he has(had) two amazing honyaki ones on his site. Given his s grind they should perform beautifully and be super light weight. That'll probably be my next purchase albeit in damascus(poor wallet)

You guys are nuts, about DallyMan. I'm right there with you with my modest 170mm Funi. He's working on the aforementioned clever in carbon for me. I have impossible expectations based on all of the knives I handles from him.

Reminds me of:

[video=youtube;AQXVHITd1N4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQXVHITd1N4[/video]

Yeah he recently started making some, he has(had) two amazing honyaki ones on his site. Given his s grind they should perform beautifully and be super light weight. That'll probably be my next purchase albeit in damascus(poor wallet)

Being swedish this makes sense :p he's working on blades 5 and 6 now for me. Might squeeze him for a seventh.

You guys need to be more patient. I'm sure he'll figure it out.:cool2:

Without taking ANYTHING away from Robin, WTH do you do with 5-6-7-9 knives from the same maker? Do you have all different shapes and lengths? I can't even bring myself to spring for a second from him without trying a few other makers.

Also, I wanted to add to my previous comments that his profile is really good, too. To my eyes it even looks kinda like the Forgecraft profile, with a smooth, almost-flat curve towards the tip instead of a flat spot + belly towards the tip. Makes it feel nice and nimble.

I'm also experimenting with different sharpening routines to see if I can get a nice toothy edge on the AEB-L. Like JKI 1k diamond > white binsui > Khao Men. See if that leaves a bit more Jaws.

Without taking ANYTHING away from Robin, WTH do you do with 5-6-7-9 knives from the same maker? Do you have all different shapes and lengths? I can't even bring myself to spring for a second from him without trying a few other makers.

Also, I wanted to add to my previous comments that his profile is really good, too. To my eyes it even looks kinda like the Forgecraft profile, with a smooth, almost-flat curve towards the tip instead of a flat spot + belly towards the tip. Makes it feel nice and nimble.

I'm also experimenting with different sharpening routines to see if I can get a nice toothy edge on the AEB-L. Like JKI 1k diamond > white binsui > Khao Men. See if that leaves a bit more Jaws.

I will only have w 4, so I can't answer your question [emoji12]

I have 4 and 2/3 more coming this year. All are very different and two were free, I'm defiantly not saying no to free dalmans. I have a true single bevel pettysuki, a kiridashi and two hunters, one +/- 70 mm one +/- 150. I had wanted to try takeda but after speaking to a few people decided against it. Dalman when he started was compared to him and I had been lusting after one of takedas 270/300 mm giant gyutos so I had dalman toss me down a 285 x 65 gyuto that's coming for xmas. I also had him make me a 90/120mm petty in order to use up scraps. Depending upon what's left I may have him toss down a kawamuki or neck knife but that's a time will tell thing. One advantage to using the same maker 2-3 times is he knows what I disliked about his previous knives(all were excellent btw) allowing him to better meet my expectations as a client. This is different with off the shelf blades obviously where you have minimal control. I strongly recommend a second dalman, his cleaver game has gone up leaps and bounds since his first one he made xoomg and his smaller single bevel blades are a solid fun addition... I wish he had san mai single bevel I'd be all over those. He also has probably the cheapest honyaki knife on the market if you just wanted one to say you have one. Plus the guys a genius with material usage and his blades have strong provenence. I commonly compare him to rene redzepi for these reasons. His blades seem pure in hand and really make me smile with child like innocence when used.

Back