Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Customer feedback.

Customer feedback.

Since I'm no longer vendor on the other forum, alot of good feedback is no longer around.

If you have a knife from me, I'd be very grateful if you would be willing to write a couple of lines. And please be honest. It may be of interest how old your knife is, since my knives have "evolved" some, and hopefully my skill as well.

Lol I say a term and you run with it, I've defiantly seen a big jump in overall looks of your blades as of late, I remember your old kkf days, I wouldn't of touched you with a 10 foot pole.. I've only handled your new knives minus my mom's hunter and that seemed fine +/- 60 seconds use. As far as my blades go they were all excellent(I own three and kept the pass around for a month lol) the Hunter is stunning, excellent grind, very sturdy in hand, beautiful Burl wood(this is part of what makes it a gentlemans Hunter) and loaded witih detail work that I love, the hammered guard is a subtle and very much appreciated touch, the single pin adds some modest flair and doubles to keep the handle mechanically secured. The sheath needs some work though, mine broke on its first mission; maybe theres a better way to attach the belt loop. The blade is thin and mighty, easily splitting lumber for kindling and still capable of doing in hand work like slicing apples. The pettysuki is again very functional, stupidly reactive(it's no longer shiny lol) the design is amazing, capable of protein prep, butchery and excels at general petty work, lemons nightmare. As far as production goes the ura(backside) man I hope I used that right felt under finished(being a prototype that's fine) 10-15 minutes on the grinder and that would be polished out. I would love to see some san mai single bevels pumped out with a wave pattern on the back(0 idea how they do that, ask around) that blade with stainless san mai damascus would be God tier. The kiridashi is just that a **** dashi that does work(used it twice for pastry lol) as far as improvements go, your defiantly making strides, your handles have become amazing, showing subtle detail work not seen until recently. Engravings, exotic materials, better more inspired combinations and use of damascus. It's really amazing to watch. All the time the blades feel Dalmanesque, never losing focus of your roots, sticking to local materials and pushing boundaries, a few of your handles could pass as bill burkes or randies work. Basically now I think you just need to dial in the fit and finish to that next level(which your doing) and maybe look into teaming up with a master Smith to bang out some more advanced forging teqniques(come on Robin Dalman meets Ed Fowler) that would be a sick combination. Basically you just need to push forward and keep doing what your doing, your obviously a great smith, you have a 6+ month wait and can constantly increase your prices. I look forward to seeing where you are in 2-3 years. P.S. get your js from abs I want that ms stamp on more of my blades lol.

Here is my (very positive) review which is about half a year old: https://japaneseknifereviews.wordpre...ade-by-sweden/

Thank you Evan and Mark! We'll sort that sheath, outdoor knives aren't my specialty

Quote Originally Posted by mark76 View Post
    Here is my (very positive) review which is about half a year old: https://japaneseknifereviews.wordpre...ade-by-sweden/
    Thanks for posting the link to your review here. The only problem is... now I want a Dalman gyuto - a kiridashi, though very nice, just ain't enough.

Honest feedback:

LOVE the 240 gyuto in AEB-L you made me! Beautiful, model-thin, heartlessly demolishes onions and every other produce I've pointed it at (and can dice them finer than my lesser knives!).

The one thing I wish I could change is the steel - it takes an edge easily, but seems to lose it relatively quickly as well (not just a wire edge, either, that I can see, it just drops towards average fairly quickly). A quick touchup brings it back, but if you could make a knife out of Blue or the 1.2442 that Catcheside uses I'd be in knife heaven. And I don't want anyone to be put off by this comment; the White knives I've tried, including an Ikeda and a Kagekiyo, make me feel the same way, so I think I just prefer tougher, toothier, more-alloyed steels over finer, simpler ones. Or I just need to learn a better technique to sharpen them.

Edit: I forgot that actually the reason I came to your sub-forum was to see if there was a chance you'd ever get such a steel to play with. If you do, please PM me! The want is stronk.
    actually named Mike

Thanks Mike!! I'll start a new thread later and we can talk steel

I am definitely loving the AEB-L knife that Robin made for me so far as nothing seems to slow it down. It is very thin and just glides through everything I have tried it on. One of the best features is food release, very little sticks to it! I will have to see over time about the edge retention, but I have not had problems with AEB-L in other knives. I am a home cook with a lot of knives to choose from, so this might not be the best area for me to comment on

Robin was great to deal with during the making of the knife, very responsive and helpful. I really don't think the man sleeps as he responds to emails at all hours, especially with the time difference.

If you ever get into forging, like hardcore zdp-189 wrapped in damasteel would be amazing, thor pattern, 1/1.5 inch bar and slide in a little piece of zdp, make a cute little taco, I'd rock that as a 200/210mm line knife with unbelieveable pride. Thor pattern would be sick in that application.

Haha mc2442 thanks. I sleep when America works I think.

Godslayer hahahaha that'll have to wait a wee bit, until I have a spaced out lab/shop. Thor pattern is cool though. I lile the hakkapella as well, have a couple bars laying actually