Quantcast
Critics Needed - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Critics Needed

Thanks, I knew opinions wouldn't be hard to find with this group. I agree that the spacer is too thick but its real mammoth ivory and turning a bunch of it to dust just didm't seem right. I was going for an elegant over very rustic look for the Takeda. I think it is going to stay for a while, looks really good hanging on the mag-block.
    Mike

Normally a big spacer like that doesn't work for me, but for some reason the mammoth in this case does. And I love the live end, but like others said, not for a knife I would bring to work. Paired nicely with the Takeda, not sure it would work on too many other knives.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I think the spacer is a-ok.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    I think it is absolutely gorgeous, with that said I think if you sandblasted the back a little to round off the sharp points a little and clean out the valleys it will make the knife easier to clean and a lot safer in the kitchen. harder to clean pointy and jagged then smooth and rounded. i love the look and concept.
    I think a sand blasted live edge looks really nice and would give a more finished look to the handle without taking away from the intent of the design. I might have saved the mammoth Ivory as a butt cap or similar on another knife. Both are really great on their own but I think they distract from one another. But having said all that I really do like the handle and big kudos for stretching yourself and trying new things with top quality materials, it takes guts to do. Personally I wouldn't do the common burl and horn handles anymore - no matter how well I might execute it, it would look like every other well made handle out there. yours is distinct.

I really like it, it is different. I am sure in time the sharp points will wear down, but i think that will only add to the character. I have to agree, it fits into it's own category, not just another wa handle.

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    I think the natural end is a cool idea but the end result doesn't work so well for me. It gives me the feeling that the end of the handle broke off - my eye or my mind is still expecting to see a finished end to the handle.
    My thoughts as well.
    But it is quite the personal taste thing.

I like the look.
    To clean up a natural end we use a stiff scrub brush to remove any loose material followed by steel wool.
    If you want to remove the pointy ends from the pins spot sanding with a hand held piece of sandpaper.

Some of the fixed blade knife makers do something similar to this on the style of knife that would normally have a stag handle with the natural crown.
    The ones I have seen always tend to get positive responses.

One of my regular customers who makes high end Native American Flutes likes to use a natural burl surface like this on the end of the flutes.
    He only does this on his top of the line flutes.

In a nut shell, I think it is a good idea that you should continue utilizing.
    I feel it gives the burl a more unique and natural look that adds to the value of the finished piece.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

I really like it. I like the rustic blade and live edge set on either end of a beautifully finished handle.

Not actually too fond of the rugged look. beautiful knife though!